It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
(male)

Replicon HB User
So, how do you... catch a cold, anyway?

I actually have two cold-related questions in this post.

1. How do you CATCH a cold anyway? It's a virus. That means it has to get into your body somehow. What does that have to do with BEING cold? Like, sleeping with your feet out of the cover or something... don't tell me the cold virus likes going in through feet that are cold! Why does it work like that? It makes sense to catch a cold through someone else's fluids when they cough or something, but... what's the deal with BEING in the cold?

2. A cold seems to have multiple phases. For me, it starts with an annoying stinging in the back of my nose, towards my throat. I suspect this is from my nose tonsils, but not sure... Anyway, after a day of that, it goes away, and the sniffing stuffy crap starts up... And then, there's occasionally some coughing, and I suspect it's from sleeping with mouth open and drying out the throat... In any case, the question is: Although the symptoms persist in different forms, when is the cold out of your system? That is, when can you declare yourself non-contagious?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
Re: So, how do you... catch a cold, anyway?

1. you can NOT get a cold by being in the cold, (i think this got started because ppl mostly get "colds" during cold weather) only through touching a surface that someone infected with the cold has touched and then touching your mouth or nose or by inhaling there mist from a sneez or a cough.

2. i guess that depends on you....some ppl seem to be contagious for ever and some ppl are only for about a week....i guess to answer your question i would have to say till the virus in your body is gone.

Last edited by ~Winnie~; 04-18-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
(male)

Replicon HB User

Haha I KNEW it didn't make sense, thanks!

Old 04-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

anytime

Old 04-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #5

pinkie1234 HB User

i remember when i was in school a teacher told the class that it's called a cold because way back when (like when people used to bleed themselves to get out the bad blood when they were sick), people thought it was caused by being cold. she also said that being cold can contribute to getting it because your imune system is lowered when you are cold. but you cant get it from being cold without the virus present. the only way you get sick from a cold is if you get the virus and your body has problems fighting it and you are less likely to get a cold if you eat right, sleep right and dress right. or maybe she was just trying to get us to eat, sleep, and dress right.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Oo, I read something about this in college. They were trying to find out how people catch cold, and they couldn't do it. They tried all different ways of exposing people to the cold virus, with and without chilling the people. The only way that was even slightly effective was (this is gross) taking mucous from an infected person's nose and inserting it into a healthy person's nose. But even then that only worked a small percentage of the time. I'm not even sure it was statistically significant.

So, the answer is, nobody knows.

Last edited by Crossbow; 05-12-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Closed Thread