It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #1

LUVMYMC HB User
Mono??? Mumps??? Please help.........

I am writing this on behalf of my husband, he is 39 and for the 11 years that we have been together he has NEVER been sick----he's had allergies and an occasional 24 hr. stomach thing, but never a real cold/sore throat that lasts most people anywhere from 1-3 weeks. 10 weeks ago he had the pollups removed from his nasal passages, he did incur and was treated for an infection in that area. 4 weeks ago we went on vacation in Florida for 10 days, while there he came down with an ear infection & (so we were told at the hospital) an abcess on his throat---it was to the point that if he turned his head to the left it cut off his windpipe, so he was admitted for the night and was given 4 bags of steriods and an antibiotic drip. He was asked at the time if he'd ever had the mumps, which he'd had when he was a young child, so they basically ruled that out. My husband is a businessman, he and his family own several businesses and he has always handled his stresses pretty well, he is also on the local school board and the president of his investment club. We have 3 young children, animals, vehicles, ATV's, motorcycles, boats, a camp on the lake----everything adds up to stress if you ask me.

Currently, 4 weeks after his hospitalization, he is having sinus type headaches almost daily, extreme diahhrea (for the past 48 hours) sore throat & basically just feels like crap. His dr. here in Maine did the blood test for mono & we were told on Friday that he was within normal limits, but I'm still leaning towards mono since he's just never been sick like this, especially for this long of a period of time. We are leaving for a cruise in 11 days I want to do my best to get him healthy before we leave, does anyone have any comments or suggestions to throw my way----he swears if we were leaving today that he wouldn't go, he just feels that sick (although, he's still working and going to the gym---he really doesn't know how to be sick!). I'm trying to keep his stresses at home at a minimum & really trying to keep him down, resting, that is, but any informantion right now would be a blessing. Thanks in advance for your help!!

H-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 06:21 PM   #2

Brooke~Lynn HB User
Re: Mono??? Mumps??? Please help.........

well first of all he needs to slow it down and get some rest for a few days. he cant be running himself ragged!
he needs to stay hydrated because of the diahrea....and he may need to be put on some antibiotics ....
but mainly he needs REST or you can pretty much kiss that cruise goodbye! put that man in bed and make him stay there, just a day of rest will see him in better health i bet!

Last edited by Brooke~Lynn; 04-27-2004 at 06:21 PM.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: Mono??? Mumps??? Please help.........

What type of antibiotic was he on? I think you should see a doctor as soon as possible if his diarrhea is bad. I don't mean to alarm you, but there's a severe infection associated with antibiotic use and one of the first symptoms is severe diarrhea. He's not at a very high risk for getting it, but anyone on antibiotics for any amount of time is at risk.

Okay, getting that out of the way...
I think the sinus headaches may be related to allergies. Has he had skin testing done to identify what he's allergic to? I agree with Brooke~Lynn, he should take some time off for a while. Going about doing regular daily activities will probably perpetuate the problem.

Last edited by jerrie97; 05-01-2004 at 01:44 PM.

Closed Thread