It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 01:44 AM   #1

Inthebox HB User
Can Wet Hair Cause Cold/Flu?

Hey people,
When i play soccer indoor and then when i go outside with wet hair from the sweating, i get sick. Is this the flu or cold or something else? Can you get sick another way through just the cold while your hair is wet? Thanks

Old 09-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
Re: Can Wet Hair Cause Cold/Flu?

no you cant get colds or flus by having wet hair or being in the rain or by not wearing a hat or anything like that! it is ONLY cause by bacteria germs and viruses and is caught by others coughing, sneezing, touching and stuff like that! im sure it wont make you feel much better but ur not going to get sick from having wet hair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
(male)

Prtam HB User

Though going outside with wet hair cannot CAUSE a cold or flu, it can put a strain on your body if it is cold oustide. When your body has to fight too hard to stay warm it lowers your resistances and that's when colds and flues are most likely to be caught. Basically, it is better not to go outside with wet hair when it is cold.

According to one form of alternate medicine (Ayurveda) going outside with wet hair can cause sinus problems. Though this may not be true in the Western sense, if you look carefully, you can see the logic. A lot of heat esapes through the head. When the hair is wet, your more apt to lose more heat. This in turn would overwork your body. Because your sinuses are in your head, I'm sure they would over produce mucous and that may be what you are experiencing. This is just my theory on it.

Sometimes, it is wise to heed old wivestales as silly as they may seem with our science. There may be some logic behind these old beliefs.

Ricky

Old 10-24-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I agree with both of the previous posters.

No, going outside with wet hair, becoming chilled, etc. will not cause you to get sick. More people get colds, flu and other illnesses this time of year because they spend more time indoors around other people. Heated rooms also dry out the nasal passages and cause cold like symptoms.

I have actually had sinus problems too as Ricky mentioned when I have gotten chilled with wet hair. It doesn't cause an infection or anything like that, only a bacteria or virus can do that, but it can cause sinus symptoms, including sinus headache and other symptoms similar to having a cold.

Nancy

Closed Thread