It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 08:10 PM   #1

joeyjoeyjoey HB User
swollen lymph nodes, sore throat

HI! MY NAME IS ANGEL. I AM 26 YEARS OLD. I HAD STARTED GETTING A SORE THROAT 1 WEEK AND 1 DAY AGO. I WENT TO THE DR. 3 DAYS AFTER IT STARTED. IT WAS MY ONLY SYMPTOM. HE PUT ME ON MOTRIN, SENT ME HOME. 2 DAYS LATER, MY NECK WAS GETTING SORE AND I HAD A LOW GRADE FEVER. SO I WENT BACK, HE DID A STREP TEST, IT WAS NEGATIVE. HE PUT ME ON ERYTHROMYCIN, SENT ME HOME. THIS MORNING WHEN I WOKE UP MY NECK WAS SOOOO SORE I COULD HARDLY MOVE IT, MY THROAT WAS SOOOOO SORE I COULD BARELY SWALLOW. SO, BACK TO THE DR. I WENT. HE SAID I HAD SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES, GLANDS, WHATEVER AND A SORE THROAT. DID ANOTHER STREP TEST, NEGATIVE. HE PUT ME ON DARVOCET FOR THE PAIN, TOLD ME TO KEEP ON THE ANTIBIOTIC (WHICH IS KILLING MY STOMACH 4 TIMES A DAY!) AND CALL HIM IN THE MORNING. I HAVE LIKE LIL LUMPS ON THE BACK OF MY THROAT. VERY TINY LUMPS. NOT WHITE THOUGH. THEY ARE NEXT TO MY TONSILS, AND STRAIGHT BACK. THE "NODES" THAT ARE SWOLLEN ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE IN THE BACK OF MY NECK, BEHIND MY EARS (RIGHT SIDE HURTS WORSE) AND AROUND MY COLLAR BONE. IS THIS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT? I HAVE HAD SORE THROATS IN THE PAST, BUT NOT LIKE THIS! THIS IS FREAKING ME OUT!

Old 08-10-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Re: swollen lymph nodes, sore throat

First of all, I'm not sure why your doctor would prescribe erythromycine. Antibiotics only fight bacteria, not colds. Colds are caused by a virus.

The overuse of antibiotics can cause bacteria to become resistant to the drugs. If you don't have a bacterial infection and you take antibiotics, you risk compromising your immune system and actually increase your risk of developing an infection.

Please see another doctor if you can. He may be able to find something the first one missed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 01:39 PM   #3

joeyjoeyjoey HB User

ty for the reply. you know when u get put on an antibiotic your symptoms usually start going away after the 2nd or 3rd day. well, mine didnt, so i stopped the antibiotic myself. y take something that is killing my stomach for nothing? i go back to the dr. friday. today is weds. my glands or nodes, whatever they are, are still swollen but not as painful. the only ones that really hurt now are the ones in the back of my neck like when i look up or down. the ones on the sides and collar bone dont hurt anymore. i do however still have bumps on the back of my throat. they are not white however. and today i got a new symptom-sinus headache from hell. so maybe you are right and it is a virus. my dr. did make me do an HIV and MONO test. i will have the results from the mono soon and the HIV in 2 weeks. i doubt its either one of those. maybe mono though because i was drinking after my friend who sleeps around alot. so, i dont know. i just wish it would go away. and i have heard that mono lasts a long long time. oh yea, one more symptom i have is body aches. no fever though. this is soooo weird. i only had a fever for the first 2 or 3 days. any suggestions, advice, comments would be helpful. i am scared and feel like crap!

angel

Old 08-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

What did the doctor say, if anything, the first time about the bumps in the back of your throat?

Old 08-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #5

joeyjoeyjoey HB User

he didnt say anything. i go see him 2morrow morning. it has been 2 weeks now and my throat is not getting any better. he did mention mono though, but not sure if i was tested for that. wbs. i am gettin real worried.

angel

Old 08-26-2004, 10:24 PM   #6

Candice561 HB User

I had the WORST mono EVER during christmas... I got it 3 days before christmas. It started off as a sore throat... and then I could feel this weird sorta hairy stuff on my tonsils with the back of my tongue, so I looked in the mirror and found a bunch of tiny white spots all over both of my tonsils... So I went to bed and woke up and my lymph nodes were all swollen to hell and my tonsils hurt like a bugger... I got a blood test and found out I had mono... I had a sore neck and a sore throat... Well, I guess sore throat is the understatement of the year... I was ready to cut my tonsils right out of my throat... I lost my voice for a while and my tonsils completely covered in white stuff... and they swelled my throat almost shut.. and then when it started to go away the white stuff peeled off...

I'd get tested for mono... It sucks and there isnt much you can do about it but at least you'll know if you have it or not....
I'm terribly sorry if you do have mono... I feel for you.. it SUCKS!!!!

Old 09-17-2004, 09:30 PM   #7

joeyjoeyjoey HB User

thats what i had! ty for the help. feelin better now though. still have a couple swollen nodes, glands, whatever they are called. is that normal? how long do they stay swollen?

angel

Closed Thread