It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #1

scott-e-dog HB User
Unhappy sore throat for 3 weeks ! HELP

i have had a sore throat for 3 weeks now and it sometimes feels like it is getting better then just goes back to being sore again, it hurts when i swallow, the pain goes from the right of my throat to my right ear. then the next day it might be my left side that is sore... Has anyone had this problem before ? Has anyone had a sore throat for more then 3 weeks ? I am so worried it is throat cancer as I smoked for 4 years about 10 years back, I am now 28.. Any help would be good, the Doc put me on antibods but they have done nothing.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:15 AM   #2

jaytyn HB User
Re: sore throat for 3 weeks ! HELP

I am having the same problem.
Ihad a sore throat, so bad when I swalloed, and also it felt like it was inflammed, and even hurt my ears.

It went away with antibiotics, and came back as soon as they run out, and then I took a second course of antibitoics and it went away, and has now come back again!!!

Its getting rediculous, and I want to get rid of this damn sore throat!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-e-dog
i have had a sore throat for 3 weeks now and it sometimes feels like it is getting better then just goes back to being sore again, it hurts when i swallow, ...
Have you tried gargling with hydrogen peroxide? It is great against bacteria, fungus and viruses. I imagine that it would sting badly and could take quite a few garglings before it helped.

I've also heard that some people have success, against throat infections, by using 3% hydrogen peroxide, diluted 1 part peroxide to 8 parts water, in a cool mist vaporizer.

Antibiotics are usually very successful for treating most throat infections. When I've used antibiotics for throat infections, it's taken over four days before my sore throat really got better.

How many days have you been on antibiotics?

Last edited by Machaon; 08-28-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

You sure it's not allergies? I've had a sore throat for the past few weeks, on and off, because of mine. Ugh...it's driving me crazy.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

gargle with salt water. Whenever I had a throat infection, the antiobiotics would take days to work. The salt water took less than a day.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:13 AM   #6

bontok12 HB User

Do 3 gargle with sale water with day + 1000 mg of Vitamin C. == Do it for two days and it will be gone.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:11 AM   #7

little hamster HB User

I think that maybe the antibiotics have caused your bacteria/virus to develope a resistance to it so maybe that is why is not working. Did u complete the whole course of antibiotics? You should do that and not stop when the symptoms appear to get slightly better.
I think taking 500mg Vitamin C and drinking lots of water help. Lots of water such as having 2.4litre or maybe even 3 litre. I used this method to quicken my recovery. And most important you must have enough bed rest. Don't use your voice too much. Avoid spicy foods or any foods that help you to build up phelgm or irritate your throats. When i have a sore throat, a bad one, it is often because of a cold. And all my mucous from my cold slip into my throat and caused my sore throat.
See your GP soon if you are concern about the throat cancer.
Take care

Old 09-07-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
(female)

mind mist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-e-dog
i have had a sore throat for 3 weeks now and it sometimes feels like it is getting better then just goes back to being sore again, it hurts when i swallow, the pain goes from the right of my throat to my right ear. then the next day it might be my left side that is sore... Has anyone had this problem before ?
That sounds exactly like what I'm going through right now. 2 weeks ago I had a sore throat, fever and muscle ache. The doc said I had strep throat/tonsillitis. I took antibiotics for 10 days and felt somewhat better...but as soon as the prescription ran out the mild fever and sore throat came back! It hurts when I swallow and I can feel the pain near my ear too. I'm not sure if it's still the same infection or a different one. When I look at my throat and tonsils it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did the first time around.

I'm not crazy about going back to the doctor right away. So I'll do the salt water, vitamin C, bed rest and more fluids thing for now.

Closed Thread