It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #1

thmom HB User
Strep Throat Treatment

I have a history of getting strep throat. I've already had it twice this year and I think I have it again.
The usual Sore Throat, Body Aches, Headache, slight nausea, Chills, and even the white little pustules in my throat . I've been feeling this since Thursday.

Get this. I went into the weekend clinic and the Doctor tells me that the lab is closed so we can't get a swab of my throat, so he can't give me antibiotics. But, then he says...."Most cases of Strep Throat we don't treat anyway"

Is that true??? Will this just go away on its own if untreated? I've always heard of the health risks if UNTREATED!!

Please clear this up!!

Have two small children I don't want infected!!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: Strep Throat Treatment

Wow! Three times in one year. In my experience they always give antibiotics for strep throat. My daughter used to get it. Since you get it so often you might want to consider supplementing with vitamin C. There is controversy over whether vitamin C helps or not but usually when people find vitamin C ineffective they are taking too small of doses, such as 2000mg a day when 3-5 grams (3000-5000mg) 3 times a day for prevention is the effective range for most people, and if you are already having symptoms it takes a LOT more to help (look up Cathcart vitamin C bowel tolerance on the internet if you want more information on how to find the effective amount of C for a person who is infected with something.). Also in the vitamin board you can look at The great vitamin C debate! for information about the safety of vitamin C in large doses. You should probably take antibiotics, too, for this infection, but you can start the C right away while you are waiting and if you take enough of it each day on a regular basis it should help prevent the next infection.

Last edited by Kime; 09-12-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

Kime HB User

I have been rereading the part about strepococcal infections in the book "Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, & Toxins" by Levy. He cites numerous studies that show the effectiveness of vitamin C against various forms of strep and concludes that strep is especialy responsive to vitamin C therapy (Usually in an acute infection it is given IV and orally but it can be hard to find a doctor who is willing to give it IV.) and that there is strong evidence that step infections should be easy to prevent if enough vitamin C is taken on a daily basis. Vitamin C also neutralizes the toxins associated with strep infections.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #4

RichMan HB User

I just came across your post, and I'm hoping that by now you're over the strep (if that's what you had). Usually, strep is a bacterial infection which requires antibiotics. As a teen I remember when it hit me. Started with a sore throat, and basically I found I was almost lethargic, and was tired. Finally a trip to our doctor and a throat swab confirmed it was strep. As for the MD you saw- it sounds as though he wasn't up on his medical procedures or couldn't be bothered, and to say he/his clinic didn't treat strep sounds crazy. As for possible health risks, I can only relate from my own experience; that not having gotten to my doctor sooner, I may have had some adverse affects. (I don't want to alarm you-but in my case, and I found this out about 9 yrs later, that the strep I didn't get taken care of right away, may have caused some kidney problems for me!) My suggestion is that at anytime you feel your health is at risk, see a medical professional. If he/she seems off on their evaluation/diagnosis-see someone else! Stay well, and good luck!

Old 10-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I have pretty bad ETD so that leaves me very susceptible to throat infections.. and they always get so bad that I can't swallow even water & a 105 fever.
So my doctor has been giving me antibiotic injections the last few times which helps tremendously.. I would ask about that, it is the only thing that gets you relief fastest.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:23 PM   #6

RichMan HB User

What is ETD? I'm not familiar with the term. Personally though I think I'd prefer oral meds, but then too, your case w/ a 105F! Temp might require a quicker route for antibiotics to start working.

Closed Thread