It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

RyanPoli HB User
Sore throat w/ blood, please help.

Hello,

I have had a sore throat for going on three weeks now. It started feeling better about a week ago but now is getting much worse. When I wake in the morning I have to clear my throat and what comes up has a bit of blood in it. The blood isnt brown like its dried, its red and kinda mixed in with the saliva in streaks.

Also, the mucus in the back of my throat is VERY thick and brown in color. It has the consistency of bubblegum and is extremely hard to get out. It brings tears to my eyes trying to clear my throat.

The back of my tongue also hurts. It feels like its swollen and hurts to move or talk or eat. I know im getting dehydrated but my throat hurts so bad I really cant eat or drink very much. I am constantly spitting my saliva out (every 30 sec or so) into a trashcan I have next to me because it tastes strange and has a wierd gooey consistency.

Another think that makes me think im dehydrated is that Im not urinating very much but when I do it feels like it stings alittle and my urine is almost brown colored.

I have not been to a doctor, but Ive had this for weeks now so I just keep saying it will go away soon. Will it? Anyone had stuff like this before? The blood and the fact that my tongue hurts is what is most unsettling. I dont have any other symptoms, its just my throat/mouth and im sure I dont have a fever.

Thank you.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Sore throat w/ blood, please help.

Sounds like some sort of infection...I'd say get to a doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

go to the doctor. you must have some kind of infection and before it gets extremely worse, you need to be treated.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
(male)

ncaufield HB User

It sounds as though you're extremely dehydrated. I know the blood etc points to an infection so see your doctor in case you need antibiotics. But the thick mucous and especially the urine issues point to hydration. Drink tons of water as this should cleanse the urinary track, but might also loosen the mucous and thin it out.

Good luck

Old 12-23-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
(female)

2tiredmom HB User

Definitely go to the doctor. The blood could just mean your nasal passages are dry and the blood is draining into your throat. However the thick junk you are coughing up suggest infection.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Oh Yeah, you need to see a doctor right away. You may have strep throat and it won't get better by it's self.

Old 12-25-2004, 06:54 AM   #7
(male)

i am a guy HB User

i was just going to make a very similar post so i decided ot include it in this thread....

4 days ago i woke up shivering out of control (it was a comfortable 72 degrees and i had blankets) and i have had similar symptoms to poli ever since. the day before that i had no idea or no indication that any kind of illness was about to hit me, but i was outside for a few minutes in below zero weather but went to bed feeling fine.

so now 4 days after that, i have an incredibly sore throat (all i have eaten in 4 days is milkshakes and eggs with water) a pretty bad fever (i wake up sweating or with chills ever hour or so). my biggest concern is that like poli i also have to spit every minute or so... and yes my spit tastes funny, and yes my phlegm (think green snot in throat, pretty sure thats phlegm) is incredibly think and chewy. it just hurts too much to swallow it. twice now i have had times where all i was spitting out was blood in my phlegm that i could feel building up in my throat, and couldnt breathe if i didnt spit it out or suck it out.
i however drink at least 5 or 6 water bottles a day, and have continued to do so thru this sickness, so i dont htink dehydration is the issue. (i do sleep in a basement however with a big furnace which im sure makes the air incredibly dry.)

i told my parents that i need to see doctor and they keep telling me to wait another day, but i never get any better, tho i didnt spit any blood yesterday which was nice.
i dont think we even have health insurance...
how necessary is it to see a doctor??.. i have been using vicks chloraseptic which was given to me by a doctor last time this came up and the problems eventually went away... but if i go to the doctor do u guys think i will be guranteed a better fix to my problems?

thank you so much.

Old 12-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

Say Guys,

Many years ago about 20 or so I had a very bad sore throat once. It is the worst I ever had, similar to what you describe. In my case, the infection in my throat seemed to be much higher than what I was used to, and it was very uncomfortable. I couldn’t sleep for more than 30 minutes at a time, then I would wake up coughing like crazy due to my throat drying up.

I finally went to see the doctor and he prescribed to me some chewable antibiotic tablets the size of a quarter. They were candy favored and they did the trick really quick to take care of my sore throat.

I am fortunate that I rarely get sick. Currently, I have been fighting the beginnings of a sinus infection for the past three days. I wake up feeling my sinuses and my throat being affected, but it clears up in about 3 hours and I’m OK for the rest of the day. The next day is the same thing, but at least I am able to keep it from getting worse and my nose is not running and dripping all over the place. I don’t have a cough either. My voice is still clear which is a way for me to gauge how bad the infection has gotten…whether it makes sense to anyone or not.

I am not taking any medication for my current minor infection, other than staying indoors with the temperature set at around 78 degrees and taking three or four showers a day. It just seems, when I take a shower and let the water run over me, it just clears up my sinuses.

Keep your nose clear without irritating it any more. Don’t blow to hard and don’t swallow it if you can avoid it. Why send the infected mucus into your lungs when you can blow it out your nose or spit it out.

Go see a doctor about your sore throat and see if he can prescribe some chewable antibiotic tablets. Press him on it! Don’t just let him just tell you to take an asprin and call him in the morning. The chewable tablets worked great for me.

Most of the over the counter medications just help relieve the symptoms and do nothing more as far as I’m concerned. I’ve never found them to do much better than that. But in your case, I would see a doctor. For a sore throat, even if you don’t have insurance, it shouldn’t cost that much.

Also, drink plenty of liquids….. and don’t tip over the glass of water on the desk like I just did! Augggghhh!

HOO….cough cough..P! J (I will not be defeated!)

Closed Thread