It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

110lbweakling HB User
coughing, sneezing, green phlegm, can't get warm

I started out with a sore throat, but then started getting a stuffy/runny nose. The sore throat kind of went away, but then I was coughing a lot, sneezing, runny nose and all that. I tried to keep warm when I went to sleep, to maybe sweat it out or something, but even with a thermal undershirt and sweater, and 3 blankets, I can't seem to keep warm. And I know that before this I would overheat with all those blankets. I don't think I have a fever, just not able to keep warm. And now when I wake up in the morning, I am hacking up milky green phlegm, and chunky dark green phlegm with small amounts of blood in it, while later in the day I just have a dry cough. Can anyone help me? I'm wondering if it might a sinus infection draining into my lungs at night, but I haven't seen anywhere that a sinus infection would make a person so cold-feeling. Any suggestions?? Is there anything that might help me?

Old 12-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: coughing, sneezing, green phlegm, can't get warm

Best to see doctor for proper diagnosis and medication. You definitely have an infection, but, whether it is viral or bacteria or combination I do not know. Usually involves sinuses, and all air passages. Have to watch for pneumonia.

There is a respiratory bug going around that is bad and difficult to get rid of. I know first hand, I am battling it now. Mine started out sorta like you describe and ended up with "tracheal bronchitis" and a good chance of it going into pneumonia. Started second round of antibiotic today. Thought it was about to clear and then last night took turn for worse. Muscles in my chest are sore from coughing so much. Sneezing and sinus drainage has been a big problem.

There is the possibility you may have strep throat, if so, you need to treat it early or risk having kidney and/or heart damage.

Some things you can do at home to help yourself but may not be enough to clear, is to irrigate sinuses with salt water, take Mucinex to help keep mucous thinned, take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon plain Robitussin at bedtime to help keep mucous in throat thinned. Halls cough drops helps the cough and sore throat. I discovered that gargling with mixture of very warm water and Cool Mint Listeren relieved sore throat misery. Get plenty of rest, run vaporizor to keep moisture in the air. Do all this in addition to prescriptions the doctor will prescribe. Check with the doctor to be sure if the above is o.k. for you. Only the doctor will know what stage of the bug you have and what will or will not work or is safe for you. I can only share what has worked for me and/or what my doctor has had me to do.

This is a serious illness. Doctors seem to be baffled as to how to cure this horrible respiratory infection going around.

Last edited by Misty800; 12-28-2004 at 02:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 01:20 AM   #3

Ron HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie55
Best to see doctor for proper diagnosis and medication. You definitely have an infection, but, whether it is viral or bacteria or combination I do not know. Usually involves sinuses, and all air passages. Have to watch for pneumonia.

There is a respiratory bug going around that is bad and difficult to get rid of. I know first hand, I am battling it now. Mine started out sorta like you describe and ended up with "tracheal bronchitis" and a good chance of it going into pneumonia. Started second round of antibiotic today. Thought it was about to clear and then last night took turn for worse. Muscles in my chest are sore from coughing so much. Sneezing and sinus drainage has been a big problem.

There is the possibility you may have strep throat, if so, you need to treat it early or risk having kidney and/or heart damage.

Some things you can do at home to help yourself but may not be enough to clear, is to irrigate sinuses with salt water, take Mucinex to help keep mucous thinned, take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon plain Robitussin at bedtime to help keep mucous in throat thinned. Halls cough drops helps the cough and sore throat. I discovered that gargling with mixture of very warm water and Cool Mint Listeren relieved sore throat misery. Get plenty of rest, run vaporizor to keep moisture in the air. Do all this in addition to prescriptions the doctor will prescribe. Check with the doctor to be sure if the above is o.k. for you. Only the doctor will know what stage of the bug you have and what will or will not work or is safe for you. I can only share what has worked for me and/or what my doctor has had me to do.

This is a serious illness. Doctors seem to be baffled as to how to cure this horrible respiratory infection going around.

Hi Marie,

I have been through something similar for the last two weeks...
Fortunately, the green was minimal and it is clearing up rapidly.
The first day i had a gutache, followed by shorness of breath and a rapid heartbeat upon mild exertion.... The next few days were chills when trying to sleep and a desire to bundle-up and sweat it out.... which I did.

About the third day the coughing began and has continued for almost two weeks... often being so violent that I though i was going to loose my lunch.

I had this before about 15 years ago, when the doc told me it was
being referred to as "walking pneumoia" Good handle I believe.

Hope you get over it all soon.

Ron

Old 12-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Ron,
Thanks, I sure hope you recover soon too. It certainly has not helped my bloodpressure or sugar level since I am diabetic, still controlling via diet/exercise, however, exercise has been put on hold.

I was sick for several days before seeing the doctor. Actually it has been 2 weeks today since I came down with the bug. Mucous is still clear but trickle down back of throat started back up along with chest misery and sore throat.

No, I did not feel like I had the chills but did feel cold one day and needed more clothing, then felt warm off and on. Hmmmm...didn't associate the speeded up feeling and short breath to the misery, thought it was my hidden hyperventilation kicking in due to all the hustle/bustle of the holidays. My body does not seem to be speeded up today, calm for a change and shortness of breath has reduced after going back on the antibiotic.

Sounds like we are not the only ones in misery land!!

Marie

Old 12-29-2004, 10:22 AM   #5

Ron HB User

Quote:
Ron,
Thanks, I sure hope you recover soon too. It certainly has not helped my bloodpressure or sugar level since I am diabetic, still controlling via diet/exercise, however, exercise has been put on hold.

I was sick for several days before seeing the doctor. Actually it has been 2 weeks today since I came down with the bug. Mucous is still clear but trickle down back of throat started back up along with chest misery and sore throat.

No, I did not feel like I had the chills but did feel cold one day and needed more clothing, then felt warm off and on. Hmmmm...didn't associate the speeded up feeling and short breath to the misery, thought it was my hidden hyperventilation kicking in due to all the hustle/bustle of the holidays. My body does not seem to be speeded up today, calm for a change and shortness of breath has reduced after going back on the antibiotic.

Sounds like we are not the only ones in misery land!!

Marie
Hi MArie,

If you find that you are coughing and can not fall asleep, try a med such as Actifed or Sudafed (cold and sinus) . It will give you peace withing a half hour and dry up the mucous flow allowing you to breathe more freely.
One or two a day is all it takes of me.

Ron

Old 12-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ron,
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I cannot take anahistimines or deconjestants. They affect my sympathetic nervous system. Also I have been battling blepharitis and severe dry eyes for over a year. Both would dry eyes more. I had to stop taking diuretics for bloodpressure also.

Will see doctor about my dry eyes in a few days and will know whether the new eyedrops called Restasis is working or not. Restasis is sorta the last resort to get tears flowing again.
Marie

Old 12-29-2004, 11:41 AM   #7

Ron HB User

Quote:
Ron,
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I cannot take anahistimines or deconjestants. They affect my sympathetic nervous system. Also I have been battling blepharitis and severe dry eyes for over a year. Both would dry eyes more. I had to stop taking diuretics for bloodpressure also.

Will see doctor about my dry eyes in a few days and will know whether the new eyedrops called Restasis is working or not. Restasis is sorta the last resort to get tears flowing again.
Marie

Hi Marie,

It sounds like you might also have rheumatiod arthritis because that dry eye
problem is likely Sjogren's Syndrome.

Have you ever tried long term antibiotics such as minocycline along with the immune suppressant poisons that are the usual treatment?

Ron

Old 12-29-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I do not have rheumatiod arthritis, but, do have rheumatism/fibromyalgia. Also have other autoimmune diseases, hypothyroid (Hashimoto), Grover's Disease, Lichen Plantus, Rosacea. If there is no known cause nor known cure I seem to get it.

I took tetracycline for a while for rosacea in eyes but it caused stomach problems and had to stop. No ,have not had any of the immune suppresent poisons. I just live with the aches and pains.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:39 PM   #9

Ron HB User

Quote:
I do not have rheumatiod arthritis, but, do have rheumatism/fibromyalgia. Also have other autoimmune diseases, hypothyroid (Hashimoto), Grover's Disease, Lichen Plantus, Rosacea. If there is no known cause nor known cure I seem to get it.

I took tetracycline for a while for rosacea in eyes but it caused stomach problems and had to stop. No ,have not had any of the immune suppresent poisons. I just live with the aches and pains.

Hi MArie,

Have you tried injections of cortisone into any Lichen Planus mouth lesions?
This condition has be been known to go away by itself after a few years or so. What have you tried on the skin bumps/lesions?

Do you know what your blood shows for Sed Rate, C Reactive Protein, Antinuclear Antibody, White Blood Cell Count and Rheumatoid Factor?

Ron

Old 12-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, I do not know what the Sed Rate, C Reactive Protein, Antinuclear Antibody, White Blood Cell Count and Rheumatoid Factor is, did not find it on lab reports. Something to ask doctor to do next time I am in.

I use a cortisone cream on the Lichen Plantus and Grover's Disease. Fortunately only an occasional red spot size of match head Lichen Plantus pops up on arms off and on. Grover's Disease is on chest in the "V" neckline area and acts up off and on.

Marie

Old 12-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #11

Ron HB User

Quote:
No, I do not know what the Sed Rate, C Reactive Protein, Antinuclear Antibody, White Blood Cell Count and Rheumatoid Factor is, did not find it on lab reports. Something to ask doctor to do next time I am in.

I use a cortisone cream on the Lichen Plantus and Grover's Disease. Fortunately only an occasional red spot size of match head Lichen Plantus pops up on arms off and on. Grover's Disease is on chest in the "V" neckline area and acts up off and on.

Marie

Hi Marie,

You were warned that continued use of Cortisone Cream can irreversably thin the skin?
How much benefit do you get from it?

The Grovers sounds like it might be sun sensitivty.
What meds are you on that have this as a side effect?

Ron

Last edited by Ron; 12-30-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I am well aware of cortisone thinning the skin. That is the reason I wait to see if the Lichen Plantus will clear on it's own rather than use the hi potent cream. It is questionable whether the Lichen Plantus clears up any sooner using the cortisone versus just letting it run it's course.

True, since the Grover's Disease is in the "V" area, exposed to sun for many years, it most likely is related to the sun. I only use a cream, non-steriod on the Grover's Disease when it relentlessly itches since the initial diagnosis. Decided to use the lesser potent cream if it would work and it seems to work when needed.

Both are better now than before, never was real bad.

At the present the only meds I am taking are: Diovan 180 mg, Synthroid 0.1%, Aspirin 81 mg. In the past took Norvasc and Maxzide in addition to the Diovan for BP control.

Past year took lots of Extra Strength Tylenol for aches/pains of fibromyalgia but, since stopping vitamin supplements I do not hurt as much, therefore, do not take Tylenol. I am trying to eliminate all meds possible and go clean and see how my body does. I think doctors have over medicated me over the years.

CoQ10 50 mg and Policosanol added few weeks ago to help lower cholesterol. I have excellent cholesterol, LDL, HDL, Tris, ratio, but doctor wants LDL down to 70 (currently 84) since I am diabetic (controlled via diet/exercise).

The last few months I decided to "detox" and stopped all vitamins, supplements, etc. Stopped Norvasc (calcium channel blocker) and Maxzide (diuretic) due to severe dry eyes. Doctor increased the Diovan for BP and it seems to be working well.

Policosanol is made from "sugar cane wax" and is not a statin drug. It supposedly will lower cholesterol, LDL and raise HDL. Will see what happens. On Policosanol bottle recommends taking CoQ10 along with it.

Due to respiratory problems I take plain Robitussin, Mucinex, Hycodan cough syrup, Z-Pak.

It is amazing, after stopping vitamins I felt better (before the respiratory bug hit). In researching I found that vitamin A is most likely the problem (diet is high in vitamin A, eat lots of green veggies).

Decided to go back on a multi-vitamin few weeks ago and after 3 days did not feel as good. Stopped the multi-vitamin and felt better. I had been on several anti-oxidants the surgeon put me on back in 1986. Apparently my body cannot handle supplements anymore. I stopped Vitamin E about a year ago due to restless legs, it worked, no more restless legs.

My hair is falling out, getting thin all over especially on top. I am hypothyroid and will be tested again in March to be sure synthroid is the right dose. I was not able to take the real thyroid medicine made from pigs, made me climb the wall.

Do any of the meds above ring a bell with you as to being guilty of some of my problems? I know that diuretics are sun sensitive. Not sure about the others. Seems like BP meds are, have not checked in a long time.

Marie

Closed Thread