It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
What to take for a dry cough?

I have had this dry cough for a few days cant get to the doctor yet and dont know what to take. Sometimes it seems like I cant catch a deep breath and my nose feels kind of clogged but nothing comes out. My lungs hurt from coughing and nothing coming up. About once or twice a day I will get a wheezy noise when I take a deep breath. Then I will start coughing to try to make it stop then it will sound like it breaks up and I will cough a tiny bit of mucus up. Other then that my lungs and throat feel so dry. I dont know whats wrong with me what should I take????

Old 01-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: What to take for a dry cough?

You have bronchitis and need medical care. Bronchits can go into pneumonia if left untreated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

I have been trying to get to a free Doctor but they give you 3 hours to call this number and if you cant get through in those 3 hours you cant get an appointment. Also you can only call once a week to make an appointment and I called all morning and the phone was busy so no appointment for this week. I dont have insurance and I am unemployed right now so I am out of luck with going to a regular Doctor. So what can I do while I am waiting for the free Doctor should I take an expectorant or a cough surpressant?

Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

You want to take an expectorant to clear the lungs out. I am taking the generic brand of rubbitussin dm and my doctor said that is fine (and much cheaper). I have bronchitis right now and my dr gave me an inhalor and zythromicine (SP?).

Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Well I finally got an appointment turns out to be bad bronchitus. They gave me Biaxin xl,Tussi-12 d and Duraphen 2 Hope this helps me out its been like over 2 weeks of suffering with this. I even had a fever today and my lungs feel like there screaming from all this coughing Ive been doing. Took the antibiotics as soon as I got home hope they kick in soon.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #6

adw37 HB User

Mucinex is suppose to break up the mucus. However, a dry cough is awful and Robutussin is my favorite and always keep cough drops handy. Sometimes a dry cough can choke you when you are not expecting it!

I hate that.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
(female)

Sucha HB User

I had/have the same thing- bronchitis and I think I had a sinus infection and ear infection too. Dr. put me on Augmentin first, that didn't help so after a week I called back and he gave me Biaxin XL and robitussin generic with codeine . The Biaxin started working and I felt better with in 2 days. I still have a bit of the cough, but no where near as bad as it was, and my ears and sinuses are not full. The cough syrup with Codeine helped a bit I think- I only took it at night cause I wasn't sure what the effect would be. So I hope you have the same quick resp;onse to it. I hear also that it takes about 3 weeks to get rid of this, so I'm on week two and should be almost done!!! Take it easy and get better.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
(female)

south249 HB User
Question Re: What to take for a dry cough?

Does This Sound Like Bronchitus? Since Sunday I Cough Once In A While And Bring Up Yellow Or Green Plem. And My Chest Feels Heavy. I Haven't Had A Fever Etc. I Do Sleep In Ac Since Its Been Hot, Day And Night I Am In It. Seems Like I Am Short Of Breath A Little To.

South249

Old 07-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

South 249,
The yellow and green mucous indicates you have an infection. See a doctor for proper meds.

Closed Thread