It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #1

Buster158 HB User
Question Fluid in the ear from a cold...

Here's the story...

I've been fighting a cold for about a week...started out sore throat, then the congestion...i figured it was my sinuses, and with some advil cold/sinus it would go away...well, sunday my left ear began hurting...then it went shut...so monday i went to the doc, because it was driving me crazy...the being sorta dizzy, and the pressure in there...so monday I went to the dr, and he diagnosed it as sinusitis/upper respiratory infection, and he gave me amoxicillin and a decongestant. He said I didn't need anything for my ear, because it was just fluid build up, and it would "go away". Well, my cold is getting somewhat better (I can breathe out of my nose) but I really need to do something about this ear...I can't stand it anymore...any ideas?

Old 03-02-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Fluid in the ear from a cold...

Hik

Are you still using the decongestant? That's basically all you can do for now.

I have a friend who has meniere's and he faithfully drinks stinging nettle tea daily. I think one or two cups a day. He swears by it and that it's helped him tremendously.

In any event, it's a diuretic and that might help with the ear fluid. But, do a check on the internet to check for contraindications, etc.

What about taking a product like mucinex which is an expectorant.
What is the name of the decongestant the doc gave you?

I hope you feel better soon.....it took me 2 weeks to get over the worst of my cold/sinus infection, and I'm still working on the rest.

Keep us posted as to how you're doing.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #3

Buster158 HB User

The decon. is Guaifenex PSE 120
Thanks for your help!

Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi, that is a combo of expectorant and decongestant (guaifenesin and Sudafed)..... and that's the best combination to help you at this time.

Unfortunately all you can do is tough it out and be as patient as one can feeling completely miserable with what you have.

I'm just hoping I don't pick up another one considering so many people are sick with respiratory infections.

Keep well for a long time after you've recovered!
quincy

Old 03-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #5

Buster158 HB User

sounds like fun!

A friend of mine told me she once heard you can put nasal decongestant (the spray kind) in your ears to help with the fluid...is this true?

Old 03-03-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Gee, I don't know! If you have fluid, it would be behind the eardrum, so I don't know if it would help? BUT....do a check on eardrops and what's in them..if it's a decongestant (the kind in a spray bottle), then maybe it would be best to use that. The only problem if you decide to try them is to make sure it's not been shoved up your nose previously..just to make sure nose stuff stays in the nose. Just something I would consider.

If you're taking a preparation with decongestant in it, it should help open the eustachian tubes and aid drainage. Sounds as though you've really got it bad...I feel for you!

I think if you're not averse to herbal stuff, maybe the stinging nettle tea might help. I've not tried it yet...but could be worth a try to help aid in fluid build-up.

Hope tomorrow brings improvement!
quincy

Old 03-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Take some Sudafed. :-) lol one thing I just discovered...if you rub behind your ears, it feels really good...lol and wow... give it a try...YES Sudafed working...ears feeling good for now! YaY

Closed Thread