It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

audreyp HB User
Question What could be the cause of reoccuring colds?

Hi,
I have had 5 colds in the last 3.5 months. I havn't had that many colds in my entire adult life put together(I am 29).I have had a (possibly smokers?) cough for a few years and wheezing for the last year or so. I have had a full breathing test done and I do not have asthma or bronchitis. I am hoping someone knows what can cause an otherwise healthy woman to catch soooo many colds in a short period of time. Each cold feels worse then the last and the exhaustion is killing me!!!!!
Please any suggestions???
THANKS,
Audrey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: What could be the cause of reoccuring colds?

Most likely your immune system is down and you are catching upper respiratory viruses. There are many, many varied respiratory viruses, some short term and others long term.

Every time someone sneezes or coughs the germs linger in the air for about 15 minutes. Anyone walking thru that air space will be exposed to germs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

audreyp HB User

Hi,
That is interesting..I never knew that about sneezing.
I had pleursey about 1.5 yrs ago.Doctor told me to take Ibuprofin for 5 days.I didn't have a follow-up exam after that.Is pleursy a virus and could that still be lingering?
Thank-You,
Audrey

Old 04-07-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Viral infection is probably the most common cause of pleurisy. Other diseases that can cause pleurisy are lung infections, such as pneumonia and tuberculosis, and other diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, liver and kidney disease, heart failure and pulmonary embolism. Other causes include chest injuries and drug reactions. Pleurisy can come about from unkown cause.

Once the underlying disease is cleared the pleurisy should clear also. No, I do not believe pleurisy is your problem now but you may be suseptible to pleurisy in the future.

No doubt your immune system is not up to par and you are being exposed off and on to viruses or bacterial infections. Viruses usually run their course but may need meds for secondary bacterial infection. Many viruses are rampant at this time.

Closed Thread