It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

MachOneMustang HB User
Question Is it possible to contract the same illness indefinitely? This is ridiculous!

Hey Guys.

I'm a 19-year-old male. Up until the recent past, I could account for getting sick maybe once a year. I’m just one of those people (knock on wood) who naturally don’t get sick.

However, strangely, for the past 2 months, I have been consistently sick off and on with cold-like symptoms, creating an almost predicable pattern that comes about every other week. The frequency of my illness is surely the undoubted result of my girlfriend's and my reluctance to cut off all "contact" when one of us is ill.

But here's the problem. Both of us are quite healthy individuals. I, for instance, am extremely dedicated to (even, at times, paranoid about) my health. I don’t eat any junk food, nor do I do any drugs or alcohol. I don’t smoke. I drink 8 glasses of water a day, eat flax seeds, drink green tea, and, to top it all off, take a plethora of vitamin and mineral supplements daily. My girlfriend, although not as an extremist as I, watches her nutritional intake quite consciously as well.

So the story begins. Close to about 2 months ago, I became quite ill. My symptoms included the usual: a sore throat, headaches, and nasal congestion. It was a seemingly typical cold. Or was it? I had just finished working a 31-hour weekEND, completing it on a combined total of about 15 hours of sleep for the 3 nights. Needless to say, this was the culprit. While severely increasing my sleep deprivation, my lack of sleep was decreasing in equal amounts my resistance, for my immune system was being ruthlessly compromised, allowing whatever infection that happen to come down the pike to infest my body without mercy. I remember being unnaturally tired, as I forced myself to work those 11-hour days on 5 or less hours of sleep. It was, in reality, my own fault. Foolish, I know… but you must understand my predicament: my girlfriend and I had just started going out. You know how that is.

So, in turn, for the same reason, it was also hard to minimize (let alone end) contact with her. She knew I was very sick, but didn’t mind taking the risk of catching it. We played the odds.

Oh… she caught it all right. The following week she was bed-stricken with symptoms I had never even experienced, as I was surely never bed-stricken. As my girlfriend was steadily getting sick, I, on the other hand, was recovering and felt as though I would be “back to normal” in a few days. This time around we were smarter. We did our best to keep from kissing, which for the most part was quite successful. Later in the week when she was beginning to feel significantly better, I assumed it was okay to kiss her again. I was wrong! The next week I was sick again, with symptoms much like my girlfriends than my initial. I thought: “Here we go again…” Once more, we restricted kissing until it was apparent that the other was feeling better. However, this was apparently not enough.

Amazingly, we exchanged this illness 2 more times over the course of the next few weeks.

Just this past week, I was recovering from my 4th time of contracting the presumed same illness. It had lasted for around 1.5 weeks, the longest it has ever lingered. It seems every time I catch it, my symptoms are worse. As of just this past Tuesday, I had been feeling fine. My body didn’t even hint towards being sick, minus an extremely peevish stuffy nose, whose presence could be easily ignored. Tuesday was also the night my girlfriend and me kissed for the first time in a week. We were both feeling NOT sick and were happy we wouldn’t have to worry about becoming ill anymore…

Until my girlfriend called me yesterday to inform me her throat was sore again. Today she is bed-stricken… again. The scores are as following: Me: 4, Her: 3. We shall see if I catch it a 5th time.

All right, so, question time. The obvious one is: why is this happening? Is it possible to indefinitely exchange the same illness over and over and over again? This truly is ridiculous. I have talked to all of my friends who are in a relationship, and they say they never have heard of such a thing. Some even went as far to say they don’t use any discretion when their boy/girlfriend is sick, and they don’t catch it! At least my girlfriend and I do all we can short of isolating the “infected” to a plastic bubble. Please excuse my sarcasm, as I’m only frustrated.

Since that initial weekend, I have gotten enough sleep through the week, and so has my girlfriend, so our immune systems should be in-check, right? To boot, my nutritional regimen itself should merit me MORE protection, no? You would think.

And… isn’t it impossible to contract the same illness twice? What’s the deal?

I apologize for the long post and my flustered tone, this whole thing just seems bogus to me. Any information one can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Is it possible to contract the same illness indefinitely? This is ridiculous!

Oh my! the two of you are passing the germs back and forth between the two of you and those little critters are getting stronger and stronger!!

Actually, when you decide it is safe to kiss again, you really are not well, you just feel better but the germs are still with you. Most likely this is a virus being passed back and forth. The upper respiratory viruses going around this year last for about 3 weeks or longer. Some have had it for 2 or more months.

If you wait at least 2 weeks after all symptoms have passed by it may be safe again.

Remember, both of you have weak immune systems at present and will be easy to catch another virus real easy.

When a person coughs or sneezes germs remain in that air space for 15 minutes and anyone walking thru that air space will be exposed to germs. Actually the air space is quite large around the person coughing or sneezing.

Not only is a person contagious but also the house is contagious due to germs floating around in the air. Best to air out your house good before allowing others to come in.

I know the two of you can refrain from passing the germs back and forth in order for both of you to recover, it is a necessity.

Wishing both of you a speedy recovery.

Last edited by Misty800; 04-08-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
(male)

MachOneMustang HB User
Cool Re: Is it possible to contract the same illness indefinitely? This is ridiculous!

Heh. Okay so I realize my initial post may have been quite of an immature nature, my appologies.

Marie55, I do realize that even when one is feeling "better," you turely are NOT completely... I was mostly dumbfounded at the fact that I kept contracting the same illness, and how my strict health regimen has failed to provide any extra protection. But then again, I guess my illness may have been worse if I hadn't been so health conscious. Surely this cannot be possible with all colds, no? Is it common to have such a consistant vulnerability?

And yes, we can refrain from passing the germs... it's just hard sometimes. Teenage lust... tis a powerful force.

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #4

washee HB User
Re: Is it possible to contract the same illness indefinitely? This is ridiculous!

Could you both have MONO??? It does wax and wane like that. Get it checked out or this cycle will never end.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
(female)

midwestmom HB User

I heard somewhere that a virus can live in your house for something like 3 months.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

It is a good idea to air out the house frequently. Also spray inside of house with Lysol spray. This will help reduce germs in the house. Be sure and clean doornobs, faucet handles, etc. to remove germs.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
(male)

MachOneMustang HB User
Thumbs up Re: Is it possible to contract the same illness indefinitely? This is ridiculous!

Hey Guys.

Just an update. My girlfriend went to the doctor's last week... turns out she had strep throat. Yikes! She went on anti-biotics and is feeling much better now. Very odd, for when I had it, it was surely not strep throat... but like I said, each time we contracted it, the symptoms got worse and worse...

A virus can mutate rather dynamically I'm told, each body does not respond the same.

Thanks for the input guys!

Closed Thread