It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2001, 06:46 PM   #1
Angeline

Unhappy Sore throat for 4 days now...

I woke up last friday (that was 4 days ago) with this killer sore throat and earache. I don't know what on earth caused it b/c noone around me is sick. I did just move into my dorm at college and i'm blaming all the sickos that might be lurking around somewhere. Anyway, i've tried everything but it just won't quit hurting. It's only the right side of my throat and my right ear, and not just when I swallow but ALL THE TIME. It's a sharp pain, not just tenderness, but it is tender as well. I've been sucking on lozenges that work while they are in my mouth but provide no long term relief. As soon as they are dissolved, the pain is back full force. I'm going crazy and I want to just take out my throat for awhile to get a break from this pain! I don't know what else to try. I gargled with salt water and that was good for 3 minutes until the pain came back, and I gargled with a hydrogen peroxide/water solution because i read that it could help. I just don't know what else to do and am wondering if any of you know of any home remedies. thanks.

------------------
Feel Free to Respond!

[This message has been edited by Angeline (edited 09-03-2001).]

Old 09-04-2001, 02:41 AM   #2

siouxzee HB User
It could be a few things.
Ear infection
Teeth problems such as a wisdom tooth coming in
strep throat
sinus infection
mono

Don't rely on a home remedy. Universities have heath facilites for students. Go check it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2001, 07:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
You can get throat gargles that anaesthetise the area for a short time. If it goes on too long I would see the doc. Strep throat can be dangerous.

Old 09-27-2001, 02:31 PM   #4

christina m HB User
ECHINACHEA!!!! that is the best. i'm the kind that gets sick all the time and last winter i took it all season and i didn't get sick even once. once i felt like it i would double the dose and the next day it was gone.it's an over the counter so there's no rx needed and it's all herbal. try it it's the greatest thing since sliced bread

Old 12-10-2001, 07:52 PM   #5

WL042901 HB User
I suggest going to the school clinic. Also Tylenol Sore Throat liquid is awesome! It's basically liquid acetamenophin but it seems to really coat your throat and make it feel better. In between doses gargle with salt water like you've been doing. Try to stay away from smokers or cut back on smoking, and sometimes using a humidifier helps. Avoid using Chloraseptic or things that numb your throat because it kills the cillia in your throat which can contribute to future respiratory problems. If your throat keeps bothering you for a few more days of doing these things and if your ear feels clogged and uncomfortable then go see a doctor.

Closed Thread