It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #1

link626 HB User
Thumbs down I'm blowing green snot and hocking yellow/white phlegm. What medicines should I take?

I keep having to blow out my snot, which is light greenish mucus. They come out in blobs.
My sinuses don't hurt or anything. But I read there's a sinus at the bridge of the nose, between the eyes. maybe the problem lies there. My eyes also produce more mucus.

Also, I've been coughing up blobs of light yellow/white phlegm. Initially, there was a good amount. Now it looks like it sort of cleared up, as I am not coughing up as much. Last night, though, I had a coughing fit, and I had to sleep sitting upright.

I've been taking robitussin CF expectorant. Should I take sudafed to stop the green snot too?

In addition to OTC medicine, i've been drinking lots of hot water and popping a lot of vitamin C.

anyone have a similar experience as I am now? Do you think I can be cured without seeing the doctor?

Old 03-06-2003, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

It sounds like you have a viral infection and producing green/yellow discharge is your body's way of getting rid of this, so DO NOT SUPPRESS this with any drugs such as sudafed. By suppressing erruptions you will slow down your recovery and can make matters worse in the long run.

Also, by taking Sudafed, this is directly working against the action of an expectorant cough medicine. You are taking expectorant to help you get rid of the discharge and then by taking Sudafed, you are then working directly against this.

Increase your Vitamin C intake to help increase your immunity. Take upto to 3000 mg daily in divided doses of 1500 mg. Get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluid to loosen your secretions.

Also, try taking the homepathic remedy Pulsatilla in a 6 or 30x potency. This is very good for discharges that are green and yellow in colour. You can get this from a healthfood store and take three tablets daily for a couple of days to see if it helps. Let them dissolve under your tongue. If this does not help and what you could up is very painful and you feel very irritable and chilly, then you can try some Hepar Sulph. If it is very painful and you feel chilly and irritable, this may help where the Pulsatilla may not.

I do not think that there is any reason to see a doctor if you have a viral infection such as a cold or flu. They will not be able to do anything and antibioitics will not work on viruses anyway.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
doc will only prescribe antibiotics if flem is proper dark green coloured http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 03-06-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Unfortunately, docs will try and throw antibiotics at almost anything, even if it is viral and have no chance of working!!

Old 03-06-2003, 05:04 PM   #5

link626 HB User
thanks for the replies!

I didn't know that the phlegm had to be DARK green!
my phlegm is nowhere close to dark green.

It seems like my snot is drying up on its own now, and i'm coughing somewhat to get the remaining phlegm out of my lungs.

wow. I think I'll push back my doc's appointment a few days and see how it goes.

Seeing a doc would have cost me $40 + lab fees..... and who knows what they charge for lab fees!

Old 03-06-2003, 10:46 PM   #6
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
Why see a doc for a nasty cold? Everyone gets colds and flus. I've never known a single person who's cold or flu turned into something more than...a cold or a flu.
Only tiny babies and old people should worry when getting a cold or flu.
One person I know thinks you must see a doctor if you vomit...I say go ahead and spend $100 to find out it is humanly normal to vomit in your life.

Old 03-11-2003, 05:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
docs in uk dont throw antibiotics about unless its really necsessary http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif when the flem been coughted up is dark green not white or yellow then he will look for infection thus the antibiotics hope your better now c ya

Old 03-14-2003, 12:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Actually, even if you are coughing up green phlegm, then there are lots of other natural things out there that will help and will help faster without the need for antibiotics and without the side effects either.

Homeopathic remedies for one will clear such things without the need for antiboitics.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:19 AM   #9

Galadriel HB User
Well, I went to my doctor today, and i cough up yellowish maybe a little bit green phlegm and he gave me some antibiotics.
I asked him what the point was since the flu/cold are viruses, and he said that a virus should only give you clear phlegm but as soon as it turns yellow or green you are dealing with a bacterial infection.

Not sure whether I'm gonna be taking it or not, but since I've had a cold/flu since New Years, a cough for the last 3 weeks and a stuffed nose for the last two weeks I think I might??

Galadriel

Old 03-20-2003, 06:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you are coughing up yellow phlegm, then I would suggest that you take the homeopathic remedy Pulsatilla in a 6x or 30x potency. This will be a lot more helpful than filling up with antibiotics and with no side effects. Unfortunately, antibiotics more often than not have side effects.

If I were you I would not take them unless you really have to. If you have had it for this long, I would suggest trying the Pulsatilla and taking some extra and high dose vitamin C - 3000 mg daily in split doses to boost your immune system to help fight the infection. This way you will get better naturally.

Old 04-27-2003, 02:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

If you are interested in alternative medicine, then I would suggest that you do a little more reading and I think that you will find that it will take care of this just as well as antibiotics will.

Of course alternative remedies will get rid of infections such as this very effectively. A well indicated homeopathic remedy will deal with this before it even has the chance to develop into pneumonia.

I use alternative medicine all the time including homeopathy and acupuncture and I never seem to get sick, but if I do, I either take the indicated homepathic remedy or have an acupuncture treatment and it works. I can't honestly remember the last time I took antibiotics.

Old 04-27-2003, 06:57 AM   #12

Angelgirl8775 HB User
I can't beleive it I have the same problems http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/wow.gif. I have been coughing and I think it's allergies but it happens when I'm in yards full of flowers and around my pets. I think I might have this new disease that is in the air. It's some type of moss that grows in the air that you can not see. I'm really freaked out and my family thinks it might just be allergies and they haven't even heard of the new disease that I saw on TV. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2003, 09:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Either it is allergies or an infection. What new disease are you talking about?

If it is allergies, this can be cured by alternative medicine.

Closed Thread