It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #1

lilbit17 HB User
Question relapse of mono?

alright...here's the deal.

last may, right around exam time and graduation...i was diagnosed with mono. and i actually didnt find out til my last day of exams so i had already been suffering through those exciting last few days of high school unknowingly. i'm telling you, that was the worst physical pain i've ever been in. i rested up (but only for like a week) because then i headed off on Senior Trip. I was really feeling OK by then...so I didn't really take it easy like I should have. I came back in town and resumed my post-graduation, post-high school, pre-college typical activities. i have always been one to sleep a LOT so especially with the mono i made sure to get as much sleep as possible.

anyway...now its august and i feel the same way I did right before the mono knocked me on my butt. every now and then its tried to rear its ugly head but never really developed into anything. But now...its been going on for a few days. I have the same symptoms...general malaise, tiredness, nausea, major sore throat with the white exudate on the swollen tonsils, swollen glands and such. I wanna know if you people think that this could be mono again or if it may just be strep or some other type of infection. I think the reason it came back this week is because I've gotten only a few hours of sleep each night and I'm pretty much an emotional train wreck right now. I have a planned getaway trip to the beach next week but I dont know if I should go now? I start college in a couple of weeks too...and I don't wanna be run down for all of that. ahhhh mono SUCKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 06:43 PM   #2

Puckerupxox HB User
Hello, i had mono when i was in my early 20s, a very bad case of it. The thing with mono is you have to rest and sleep and not do anything exertional. It seems that you haven't rested enough, also when i had it, the symptoms lasted for about a month. It was horrible, just like you said i had the bad sore throat, the fatigue was unreal and the swollen glands and the achiness. The best thing you can do is just rest as much as you can. As far as a relapse, it is possible but i dont think you ever got rid of it. In fact, once you have Mono, you never get rid of it, the T cells are always present but the symptoms are gone. It took me years to feel like myself again and I never really felt the same after it, I used to be able to stay up all night i had gotten it when i was 24, after i had mono my energy tolerance went way down to where i would have to be in bed by 10pm because i was just so fatigued. One of the things i was told to take was lots of vitamin and C and Echinacia, although I was allergic to the Echinacia i didn't take that. Just try to rest and not do to much. You will get better. HOpe this helps!

Closed Thread