It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 03:58 PM   #1

Tarra1342 HB User
Angry Neverending sore throat

For the past month I have had this sore throat that causes my glands to swell up extremely large and make it very painful to eat or swallow. I went to the doctor and he prescribed a 2 week supply of penisillin. Well, those two weeks are up and my sore throat is back. It's almost like if I'm not on a permanent antibiotic then my throat isn't ever going to be better. It also causes me to feel fatigued and headaches, earaches, aches all over. If you have any idea what could be the problem, I would appreciate any information.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Unfortunately, antibiotics create a viscious circle, as you have now disovered. You get the sore throat and you take the antibiotics and these lower your immunity to infection. Very soon, your sore throat comes back and you take more antibiotics and then on you go until you get to the stage as you say, when you need permanent antibiotics.

It does sound very much as if you have a viral infecton and unfortunately, antibiotics do not work against viruses only bacteria.

Swelling of the glands is normal in the prescence of a sore throat. What you need to do now is try to raise your immunity with various measure. You need to take some Vitamin C in a higher dose to help and you could also take some Echinacea tincture too. This will all help to raise your immunity.

If you have a sore throat you can gargle with salt water or some diluted Tea Tree Tincture. This is a natural antiseptic. You could also use Hypercal Tincture too. This is a mixture of Calendula and Hypericum. Calendula is Marigold and will help healing and Hypericum is homeopathic St John's Wart and will help with the pain of a sore throat.

Also, ensure that you are drinking enough fluids, getting enough rest and eating a nutritious diet to help your immunity too. Unless you eat a good diet, your body will not have enough reserves to help you fight any type of infection that you may get.

Antibiotics alter the balance of bacteria within the body and as you seem to have taken quite a lot of these, you could consider taking a good probiotic supplement for a while to restore this balance. When you take antibiotics they kill off good bacteria too as well as bad and this is why you can get a lot of stomach problems whilst taking them. A good supplement would be something such as Acidophilis capsules that you keep in the fridge.

It sounds like you could have a case of flu, especially as you described an aching feeling and feeling very tired. This would probably be a viral cause rather than bacterial, so the antibiotics would not work on this anyway.

I would also suggest that you could try the homeopathic remedy GELSEMIUM which is for flu like symptoms where there is general weakness and lethargy and other symptoms. This could really help and you can get these from any healthfood store.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 06:35 PM   #3

Puckerupxox HB User
Terra,
Hi, i had the same thing when i was in my early 20s, it turned out to be Mononucleosis. Started out with a bad sore throat, i got it in june, cold season was over. I felt very tired, glands were swollen very badly and hurt. The fatigue i felt was horrible. I went to the DR. he said i had the flu, and sent me home a week later i said to myself i am still sick i am not getting any better, something is very wrong with me, I went back to the DR. and told him to check me for Lymes disease for anything!! I knew it wasn't the flu, he did a mono test and it came back positive. I would have your dr. do a mono test. You are describing alot of the symptoms of it. Especially if your in early to mid 20s. Hope this helps. Feel better!.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:42 PM   #4

romulus HB User
i second that, it sounds a lot like mono. i'd go to a different doctor and get a second opinion.

Closed Thread