It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2003, 02:47 PM   #1

Windmills HB User
Post Uh oh - Strepthroat

Hello everyone, I'm new.
I think I might have strepthroat, I started out having a fever 2 days ago. Throat wasn't very sore but this morning it got worse and by this afternoon tiny white dots appeared in my throat. Thing is I don't exactly have a way to get a doctor or medecine prescribtion to take care of this. I've heard that it can be really bad to you if left untreated but is there a chance that it will go away sooner or later and me going through hell waiting it out, or do I really really need a doc? I'm in my early twenties and beat strep with medecation two years ago.
I wouldn't be seeing a doctor unless it was a real emergency.

[This message has been edited by Windmills (edited 10-11-2003).]

Old 10-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
(female)

Laney00 HB User
I can tell you that it is possible its a virus - I had a terrible sore throat that lasted 2 weeks and had white spots also, and it was not strept, they said it was just a virus.
However, you really need to go in if it lasts a few more days! Strept bacteria are not to be underestimated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I personally would go get a strept culture. Strep can be wicked exspecially if left un treated.

Do you have a fever or headache?

Best Wishes

Old 10-11-2003, 06:38 PM   #4

Windmills HB User
Thanks for the quick replies.
Yes, I have have a fever that has lasted throughout these days, it actually started out being just fever and then this morning when the sore throat broke out. The fever has been going up and down thanks to aspirins I been taking.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I am getting these regular sized mouth/canker sores in my mouth. Even on my lips. What's up with that?

[This message has been edited by Windmills (edited 10-11-2003).]

Old 10-12-2003, 01:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

The fact that you are getting canker sores around your mouth means that this is likely to be a viral infection rather than strep throat. Sores that you get at this time are viral in themselves anyway.

Can I also urge you against taking Aspirin for a fever or any kind of medication for it. It is just that a fever is the bodies natural response to any kind of infection and if you actually interfere with this process it will take you longer to recover in the long run. If you have any kind of infection then your temperature will increase due to pyrogenic factors. These are fever causing agents and your fever will break when these have all been burnt off so to speak. Your fever will peak and will then start to come down. It is just that your fever will become high because viruses and bacteria are killed by heat.

What you actually need to do is to ensure that you drink plenty of fluid to ensure that you replace everything that you have lost with the fever. If you become very uncomfortable, then you can take a luke warm bath and this will help you to cool down. Also, any kind of fan in the room that will cool the surrounding air should also help. Ensure that you do not put it directly on you as this will increase your temp.

Good luck

Old 10-12-2003, 02:57 AM   #6

Windmills HB User
Thanks Sarah. I really thought it was strepthroat becasue those white blisters were popping up in the back of my throat. I'm still not convinced it isn't but you calmed me down a tad. And like I said, I am getting more canker sores. After my last post I recieved 2 more on my tounge and another one underneath it. I have never had that many before and it makes it very unbarable to even drink anything.

EDIT: To explain the sores in my mouth a little better; There seems to be 3 kinds. Close to down my throat, white "strep" looking sores, about 3-5 small sized ones. I remember last time I had it that they were bigger. The 2nd kind is the cankersore looking ones, though they seem to hurt more, they are located on both sides of my mouth and right by the gums, which is very uncomftable. There's about 7-10 of them. Then there's the ones on my tounge, which comes as a total surprise as I never had them before. On the very tip and going a little bit up there's these tiny little white dots (4-7 of them), they don't look like cankers, more like bigger grains of salt. I can't see any further up but when my tounge touches the roof of my mouth or when I try to eat something it feels like there's lots of them there. It hurts so bad.
Any idea what it could be and could it have come with strepthroat?

[This message has been edited by Windmills (edited 10-12-2003).]

Closed Thread