Originally Posted by confusedbody
Regardless of which type you use, make sure to empty it and clean it thoroughly every day, otherwise you're just growing and blowing more infectious bacteria at yourself.
You're probably right, but I didn't bother to clean it, other than to just empty it. I use hydrogen peroxide in the humidifier, so I figure that it is self cleaning. I use peroxide to clean shower mold, my hands, pour it in my drains, and use it to flood my sinuses when I get a sinus infection. Great stuff!
Also, the humidifier/evaporator comes with a sponge that needs to be replaced every so often. Instead of the sponge, I take a new handkerchief, cut it in half, slice little, skinny, 1" sections out of it, so that the air can pass through it, and I don't have to buy costly replacement sponges.
But..... thanks for the warning about possible problems with bacteria.