It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #1

jennfer HB User
Post Good cold medicine?

My poor husband!!! When he gets sick, he REALLY gets sick!!! We have had the hardest time finding a cold medicine that works for him. We've tried sudafed, Advil cold and sinus, Dayquil, it seems like you name it, he's tried it. He even has a hard time during the night. Nyquil used to work ok for him, but not so well anymore. Recently I came down with bronchitis and my doctor gave me cough syrup with codeine. I know this is a no-no, but he got sick right after me and tried the Rx, and it at least helped him sleep without coughing so much. I feel like he almost has to have narcs to get him through!!! Does anyone have some good advice on which OTC cold meds are good? We must have 10 different ones in the cabinet!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by jennfer (edited 07-04-2003).]

Old 07-06-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Give your husband some Echinacea and high dose Vitamin C and this will raise his immunity and will dry the cold and cough up in a matter of days. By high dose, I mean 1500 mg in a split dose.

Also, ditch all the cold meds. These DO NOT cure in any way, but just treat the symptoms and are very much suppressive.

Go and see an ND an Naturopathic Doc to help you. They can do this with herbs, homeopathy and acupuncture and they work just as well, if not better than conventional meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 PM   #3

natureguy HB User
I use Olbas cough syrup. I really works to relieve many of the symtoms. And the best thing about it, it contains no alchohol. Didn't make me drousy either.

***With Love And Light***

Old 09-16-2003, 08:45 PM   #4

romulus HB User
echinacea is really good for boosting your immune system, but if otc drugs aren't doing him any good, then maybe that isn't his problem, it could be something more serious. i'd check it out in any case.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Jennfer

If he has already been to the doctor and know that it is just a cold then the Echinacea and high doses of Vitamin C will help. It is true that otc cold remedies are not remedies at all. They not only mask the symptoms (when they work), but they also cause the cold to drag on even longer. Next time your husban feels the first sign of a cold, he can try Cold-Eze. Not sure if I spelled that right. It's basically a lozenge containing zinc. Even if he's already gotten a full-blown cold, the zinc can lessen the severity of it as well as shortening the duration. Also, starting him on a good multi-vitamin and extra vitamin c now may prevent a cold next year or at least minimize the severity.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:59 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
P.S.

I have been doing this for about 5 years now and I've cought one cold. Lasted 2 days with hardly any symptoms. I used to catch a cold more than once every cold season and it seemed to linger on for a long time then I would end up w/ broncitis. Yuk.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Time

Also, try barleygreen

Mudhound

Old 10-26-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
Inactive

letsrun100 HB User
What is considered a "high dose" of vitamin C?

Old 12-12-2003, 07:12 AM   #9
(female)

Laney00 HB User
Re: Good cold medicine?

I am replying to this even though it was asked 2 months ago....a high dose of Vit C would be 500-1000mg when sick (although even doubling that should be fine since your body will rid of what it doesn't need)
I am a smoker and I take a 250mg per day with my multi (smoking supposedly depletes vit C) but when sick I boost up to the 500-1000mg.
Zinc is also good to take when sick - for immune system boost...but don't take for too long without a dose of copper!

Last edited by Laney00; 12-12-2003 at 07:15 AM.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Echinacia was recently reported after 109 clinical trials of children over 5 yrs old that it did absolutely nothing to boost immunity, for one thing if you are to take it at the first sign of the cold in children that is hard to determine as well as adults and when the first symptoms appear it's already too late, no proven facts to support it, this was done by the Naturopathic and conventional medicene community. With trials of placebo and echinacia in adults the placebo effect won everytime. This was just recently on msnbc and cbs. Nothing will prevent it 100%, no vaccines, not herbal nor conventional. I get a cold maybe every 15yrs, I drink lots of vitamin drinks, get lots of rest, eat right and try to stay away from people with colds or sneezing fits. Your genetics play a big part in the frequency and harshness of colds or flu, some people never get either, I have never had the flu and I'm 55yrs old, I work in the public and with kids(the biggest spreader of germs)and I will be the only staff member who has to take over cuz everyone else is out with the flu. One of my co workers gets every bug from jan to Dec and her whole family is that way, my family in the past never see the flu and maybe a cold every few years. Only thing you can really do since you can't choose your relatives is wash frequently, eat right be healthy in mind and avoid the sick ones at best. Every herbal or conventional cold remedy is only to ease the symptoms and if they say otherwise it's a lie! I don't believe every snake oil treatment is a fixer for everything, I"ve learned it the hard way with herbal and conventional.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

If your husband coughs really bad with every cold, maybe he has asthma that is brought on by the upper respiratory virus. He might just need an inhaler. Once he uses the inhaler, then he won't cough through the night so he can rest. He could ask his doctor about this.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I am the same way. Not even Nyquil will put me too sleep. It makes me groggy but I never fall asleep and it makes my heart feel weird.

I would not listen to the studies on echinecia. It works for me and everyone I know. IF you take it on the 1st onset of symptoms. The other day I was feeling a sore throat and really tired and stuffed nose...I took echinecia and my cold didn't get worse...it seems to be going away. If I don't take them, I get a full blown horrid cold! I take one a day of 350mg a day when I am sick.

Old 12-13-2003, 05:12 PM   #13

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2003
If your husband coughs really bad with every cold, maybe he has asthma that is brought on by the upper respiratory virus. He might just need an inhaler. Once he uses the inhaler, then he won't cough through the night so he can rest. He could ask his doctor about this.
I have an upper respiratory virus myself. But I don't have shortness of breath. Isn't that asthma?
I am taking an OTC generic Claritin. I took it today, first time, and felt alittle better. Also I am taking Robitussin DM. I took both this morning I was able to take a nap later in the day...so that was good.
Just my input, hope it helps.
~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 12-13-2003 at 05:16 PM.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarharris
I have an upper respiratory virus myself. But I don't have shortness of breath. Isn't that asthma?
I am taking an OTC generic Claritin. I took it today, first time, and felt alittle better. Also I am taking Robitussin DM. I took both this morning I was able to take a nap later in the day...so that was good.
Just my input, hope it helps.
~dagmar

Asthma doesn't have to be shortness of breath or wheezing, it can be a cough or hoarsness, or a severe cough with a cold. I have asthma but mildly and had it for years before I knew it, I thought it always was wheezing or being short of breath, I have the cough and hoarseness(which can also be GERD)and constant clearing my throat. Unless you have excersise induced asthma, that is a different story. I heard Robitussin DM worked really well, some of my co workers take it and swear by it.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey32
I am the same way. Not even Nyquil will put me too sleep. It makes me groggy but I never fall asleep and it makes my heart feel weird.

I would not listen to the studies on echinecia. It works for me and everyone I know. IF you take it on the 1st onset of symptoms. The other day I was feeling a sore throat and really tired and stuffed nose...I took echinecia and my cold didn't get worse...it seems to be going away. If I don't take them, I get a full blown horrid cold! I take one a day of 350mg a day when I am sick.

Sometimes what we may think is a cold coming on it is actually a allergic reaction or a weather change or some irritant that just got in the way and not necessarily a cold or flu. I don't have allergies but many times I start to feel a scratchy throat and nose starts to run but it never amounts to anything as it is gone the next day. I didn't need to take anything. I listen very carefully to research studies, afterall what amounts to unecessary medicating on my part puts many bucks into the snake oil charmer or other medicene men. Part of taking control of our own health means listening to all studies and weighing the benefits of all. I tend to shy away from people who are so against conventional medicene that they will take anything else whether tried or true and the same goes for people who are so against herbal medicene that the only solution is by prescription or otc. Herbal medicene has worked for thousands of years but what most people don't realise is how very little of what is out there now is actually true herbs, I worked in the naturopathic field and saw the way some of it is concocted right there in the lab, not much different than conventional. so I do listen, study and weigh both sides of the coin and don't follow what works for my friend or assume I'm getting a cold everytime I have a sniffle. Everyone is different and have their own opinions but opinions don't amount to much in clinical studies. Not meaning to sound arrogant it is just my humble experience that put me in the middle and not on either end.

Last edited by NancyH; 12-13-2003 at 11:00 PM.

Closed Thread