It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

Pastafigioli HB User
Question FLU SHOT...yes or no ?????

Hello Board,
I would like some input on this topic. I have always been skeptical in receiving the flu shot, because of the controversy over the years. Both my husband, and I are 59, and were considering the Flu Shot. We consulted our physician on getting the shot, and he was hesitant on giving his total opinion, and moderately left the decision up to us. Now I have more skepticism, as from what I have read from a site on some of the ingredients that are in this vaccine.
As follows....

Concerned Parents for Vaccine Safety web site, where I learned about some of the ingredients used to make vaccines.

Do you want any of the following vaccine constituents in YOUR bloodstream?

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)

Phenol, also known as carbolic acid (this is used as a disinfectant, dye)

Formaldehyde, a known cancer-causing agent

Aluminum, which is associated with Alzheimer's disease and seizures and also cancer producing in laboratory mice (it is used as an additive to promote antibody response)

Thimerosal (a mercury disinfectant/preservative) can result in brain injury and autoimmune disease

Neomycin and Streptomycin (used as antibiotics) have caused allergic reaction in some people.
Vaccines are also grown and strained through animal or human tissue like monkey kidney tissue, chicken embryo, embryonic guinea pig cells, calf serum, and human diploid cells (the dissected organs of aborted human fetuses as in the case of rubella, hepatitis A, and chickenpox vaccines).

Well, I refuse to put all of the above in my body, and I hope when your doctor starts telling you it's time for your annual flu shot that you'll require him to defend the annual injection. You or your insurance company's probably paying eighty bucks for a visit, so get your money's worth.

Have your doctor read you the insert that comes with the vaccine.

I would appreciate any information, or input on this topic...Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
My husband and I are both struggling with this issue. I have never taken flu shots, but he gets one every year (his company REALLY pushes the shots on all their employees). So again this year, he got a flu shot, this time while he was coming down with a cold. He told the nurse and she said it would be okay (I couldn't believe it!). Well, now he has the worst cold he has ever had, and I'm sure the flu shot had something to do with that. I worry about all the chemicals he's putting into his body each year when he gets these shots.

I've also read that getting vaccinated can actually weaken your immune system response to colds and any other flus that might be going around (besides the one the vaccine was for). This is such a hot issue now, because the medical profession is pushing everyone to get flu shots each year. It seems to me that if you aren't in a high risk category (very young, elderly, or weakened immune system) then you should NOT get flu vaccines. Most people's immune systems are very capable of fighting off most flu viruses (with the possible exception of an extremely deadly type like the one that went around in the early 1900's, which is an exceptionally rare occurence).

[This message has been edited by oceandreams (edited 10-26-2003).]

Old 10-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #3
(female)

Pastafigioli HB User
Thank you oceandreams for your reply.

For a while there I didn't think any one was going to give input on this. It is a questionable subject, and I hear a lot pro's and con's on this. I'm very concerned because you really don't know what these chemicals and strains are doing to your body after accumulations of the constant yearly different types of vaccines.

Of course Company's would push the vaccine, as it is obvious that their concern is hoping not to have any one call in sick..lol

Of course the decision would still be up to the individual, however,I do hope more people will post their opinions, experiences, and knowldedge on this, as I'm sure there are many in this dilemma of question.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Well I did, the first ever flu shot now I'm wondering why. I'm 55 yrs old, only had the flu once and only once in early twenties. I usually get a sinus infection and a cold about once a year but this year I've had it 3 times so I got brave or stupid whichever and when my hubby and I were at Heart Menders meeting (he has heart disease)I just let the nurse give it along with hubby(he gets it every year) that was on the 27th and yesterday I came down with a sore throat(never get one) upset stomach and have felt like crap for two days. I know I can't get it from the shot but I can get flu like symptoms is that correct? I also can get a milder strain right? After reading that mess of stuff in the shot now I wonder, on the consent form it only lists like 2 different things, certainly not that hatload of chemicals. It is your decision but I also hear if ya get that bad strain even a healthy young person can fall victim to complications, sort of toss a coin in the air, heads you get it tails you don't!

Old 11-06-2003, 09:38 PM   #5
Inactive

group_theory HB User
flu-like symptoms resulting from the flu shot (the needle variation, not the new FluMist) is due to your body responding to the introduced antigen. However, since the virus is inactivated, it is not infecting cells and producing more viruses. So the symptoms will last 1-2 days (and will be mild).

For healthy individuals age 18-50 who do not work in healthcare, the flu shot is optional.

For individuals in healthcare or working with groups of kids, I would recommend the flu shot. Although you may not get sick, you may be a carrier of the flu and spread it among people who may not be able to effectively fight off the flu - such as the elderly, people on chemotherapy, HIV+ patients, people taking immunosupression drugs (organ transplant), etc.

I would also recommend the flu shot for people w/ chronic disorders of the pulmonary and cardiovascular system (such as asthma), chronic metabolic disorders such as diabetes, renal dysfunction, hemoglobinopathies etc.

Of course, I recommend the flu shot for the elderly since a lot of them do die from complications resulting from the flu (such as primary or secondary bacterial pneumonias, or post-influenza weakness, etc)

For someone who is has an "acute, febrile illness" (those who are currently sick and have a temperature above 100F), I would recommend waiting till the temperature comes down (and the illness subsides) before giving him/her the flu shot.

For people with Guillain-Barr Syndrome - I would recommend that they consult their personal physician on whether they should be vaccinated or not.

For someone who has known allergies to eggs
or other components (mainly antibiotics and persavatives like gentamycin, formaldehyde) - I would caution against taking the flu shot. If after getting the flu shot you developed swelling of the face, eye, limb, inside of nose, throat or mouth, OR develop shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, OR severe skin reaction (hives, redness around ears, itching of hand/feet, OR unusual and severe weakness near the injection spot - IMMEDIATELY CALL YOUR PHYSICIAN

According to the leaflet given by GlaxoSmithKlein, the vaccine contains traces of egg protein, gentamycin, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, octoxinal 9 and thiomersal.

Concerning thiomersal

Fluzone and Fluvirin (produced by Aventis Pasteur Inc and Evans respectively) contain 25 g/0.5 mL dose (25 microgram per half a millileter). There are perservative free variations of Fluzone and Fluvirin (produced by the same companies), containing less than 1 g/0.5 mL dose. The LIVE influenza vaccine FluMist (made by MedImmune) does not contain thiomersal. WHO (World Health Organization) in 1996 developed a guideline for safe exposure to thiomersal. It's 0.47 g/kg body weight/day. The EPA has set the level at 0.1 g/kg body weight/day. Noticed that it's PER DAY. So unless you are constantly being exposed to thiomersal everday, you are within the safe limits of WHO and the EPA (if you get one flu shot every year)

Before I went to medical school, my undergraduate major was in biochemistry and chemistry. Mercury, the element, is quite commonly found on earth. Most of the mercury exist as an inorganic salt (as found in water, soil, plants, etc). Orgometallic compound (such as thiomersal and methylmercury) are more easily absorbed when ingested and are less readily eliminated from the body than are inorganic forms mercury. Humans are exposed to methylmercury primarily from the consumption of seafood (see reference at the end of this post if you want more info)

Anyway, I hope I have answered some of your questions. I don't frequent this board much so if I don't answer subsequent questions, please forgive me.

ALSO REMEMBER THIS: Take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt (including this post). You do not know who is behind the posting and how reliable the information is. You do not know if the poster has an agenda, etc. Remember that this is an anonymous board and if you have any concerns or questions, you should always consult a physician.

Mahaffey KR, Rice G, et al. An Assessment of Exposure to Mercury in the United States: Mercury Study Report to Congress. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protections Agency; 1997. Document EPA-452/R097-006.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #6

rubindj HB User
Keep in mind that if you take Tylonol, you're not allergic to formaldehyde, since this is one of the chemicals CREATED by your liver when you take Tylonol.

I'm not saying that formaldehyde is safe, far from it, its one of the deadliest poisons known to man, almost 10 times as poisonious as cyianide. That said, it doesn't mean that in a very small amount your body can't handle it. It is easily filtered by your liver like many other impurities found in our bodies/bloodstreams.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:06 AM   #7

Lochnessie HB User
We have a very aggressive flu campaign here in Ontario. They're giving the flu shot free of charge. That said, I'm refusing to get the flu shot. I'm an otherwise healthy individual who has known more people to get sick from the flu shot that not. The flu shot only protects you from three strains of flu, so if they don't get it right, you get sick, and what was the point in putting a foreign antibody in my body for? For some reason, people tend to think the shot will protect you from ALL forms of winter illness. WRONG!!! It does not protect you from gastro-type illnesses (such as the stomach flu) nor from strep throat.

What scares me is that they have never said conclusively whether there are long-term effects from getting the flu shot (because there hasn't been enough testing) but yet they push push push the shot to save emergency rooms from being overloaded - even healthy people who never get the flu. Now they're telling children to get the flu shot, even though medical science has yet to determine whether a healthy child should get vaccinated or get sick and develop natural antibodies.

Maybe it is a good idea for people over 55 to get the shot. I don't know. I, myself, am young and have decided until they force everyone to get the shot, I'm dodging that bullet.

Old 11-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #8

amphigory HB User
Re: FLU SHOT...yes or no ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams
Most people's immune systems are very capable of fighting off most flu viruses (with the possible exception of an extremely deadly type like the one that went around in the early 1900's, which is an exceptionally rare occurence).
Gaaah. Learn your medical history, people. The 1918 H1N1 flu pandemic ("Spanish flu") is estimated to have infected 20-40% of the world's population. Approximately 20 million people were killed (500,000 in the US). Later flu epidemics (major ones have occurred in 1957, 1968, 1976, and 1997) have each killed tens of thousands of people.* I wouldn't be quite so blase about influenza.

That said, I'm not trying to claim that everyone needs to run right out and get the shot; group_theory's guidelines look pretty reasonable to me.

* More information available at the CDC's website: [url]http://www.cdc.gov/od/nvpo/pandemics/flu3.htm[/url]

Old 11-21-2003, 07:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

For the past 10 years they've offered the flu shot at my work place and I've noticed a significant decrease (practically none) in the number of colds I've gotten since then. Except last year I didn't get one and I got bronchitis, and several colds. Haven't ever suffered any ill effects from the shot itself except a sore arm.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
Inactive

VTBoy916 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphigory
Gaaah. Learn your medical history, people. The 1918 H1N1 flu pandemic ("Spanish flu") is estimated to have infected 20-40% of the world's population. Approximately 20 million people were killed (500,000 in the US). Later flu epidemics (major ones have occurred in 1957, 1968, 1976, and 1997) have each killed tens of thousands of people.* I wouldn't be quite so blase about influenza.

That said, I'm not trying to claim that everyone needs to run right out and get the shot; group_theory's guidelines look pretty reasonable to me.

* More information available at the CDC's website: [url]http://www.cdc.gov/od/nvpo/pandemics/flu3.htm[/url]

New Estimates now place the death toll of the 1918 Flu Virus at around 50-100 Million people. And they have also increased the number for the US to around 750,000 people. This new estimate of 50-100 million takes into accoung the recent finding that as many as 15 million people in India died from the flu, also in other poor nations death from the 1918 strand was much worst than people had originally thought.

Old 11-28-2003, 12:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

A few decades ago I received a live flu vaccine shot during an experimental flu test program. I was quite a bit younger and much more naive than I am now, so I signed up.

Well...... the next day I rushed to the ER, with a severe Asthma attack, which put me into the hospital for ten days. I had no idea what was wrong with me because I had never had anything like asthma before taking that dreadful flu shot. I think that the reason that I reacted so badly to the live flu vaccine was because I might have had the beginnings of the flu when I got the shot.

When I got home, I found out that I could no longer get close to my cat, or I would start wheezing. I also noticed that almost anything that moved, or didn't move, would give me problems with my asthma. My acquired sensitivities would also lead later in my life to heart problems.

There is a new flu vaccine, called FluMist, which is available, which is sprayed into one's nose instead of being injected. It is also a live flu vaccine.

I would imagine that it is safe and has been tested extensively. There is a list of those who should not try the vaccine. People should check the list before getting treated with it.

The list is at: [url]http://www.flumist.com/con_about.asp[/url]

Old 11-29-2003, 05:38 PM   #12
(male)

GodChaser777 HB User

Iam only 22 years old got my first flu shot when I was 19 skipped 20 got one last year and about to get one this year and I can say this EVERYTIME I didnt take the shot Ive ended up with stomach flu so Iam gonna keep getting them!

Old 11-30-2003, 02:43 AM   #13
Inactive

hotchic85 HB User

AS A REMINDER: Stomach flu is something totally different than influenza. Influenza is a respiratory problem whereas the stomach flu usually results from a virus or something like that that infests you for a very short time...

Old 11-30-2003, 08:26 AM   #14
(male)

GodChaser777 HB User

Stomach flu is often called "intestinal flu." It's an illness caused by a virus, and it can produce different symptoms in different people. Some people develop a sore throat, cough, and nasal congestion similar to a common cold. This may be what's called "upper respiratory flu."

What people call stomach flu is usually marked by nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and a general sick feeling.

Here's how to treat stomach flu. First, you need to understand that antibiotics such as penicillin don't work on flu because they kill only bacteria. The flu is caused by a virus. Your body's defenses do the best job in fighting the illness themselves.

You can help your body fight flu by getting as much rest as possible. Do light activities if you have to, but rest as soon as you get tired. Stay home from work, unless your symptoms are mild. You'll recover faster that way, and you won't risk infecting others at work.

You should also drink adequate fluids to avoid dehydration -- but that will take some care when your symptoms are nausea and diarrhea. So let's cover what you can do to relieve these symptoms.

When your stomach is upset, the last thing it needs is food. If you feel nauseated, give your stomach a rest. Don't eat or drink anything for about two hours. If you are vomiting, don't eat or drink anything for four hours. Then begin taking small sips of water and gradually work up to small amounts -- half a cup or less -- of Seven-Up, ginger ale, or Jell-O. Do this for four to eight hours. If you feel like it, try eating saltine crackers or dry toast. Don't start to eat other solid foods for at least 24 hours. Doing this could make you nauseated again.

You can also try taking the anti-nausea drug called Dramamine if you are sure that you are not pregnant. Dramamine is not safe to take during pregnancy. This non-prescription medication is available at drug stores, and can be used as directed. If these measures don't control your nausea, you should contact your health care provider. You should also call if you are taking daily medication for any chronic medical condition and nausea prevents you from doing this.

Another common symptom of stomach flu is diarrhea. If you develop diarrhea, don't eat or drink anything for four hours. Then start with sips of water and work up gradually, over several hours, to small amounts of Seven-Up, ginger ale, Jell-O, or bouillon. Again, you can also try saltines or dry toast. But don't eat other solid foods for 24 to 48 hours. These foods will just stimulate the diarrhea. Sometimes dairy products may also stimulate diarrhea after the initial flu, and therefore, it may be wise to stay away from dairy products for a few weeks.

After the first 24 to 48 hours, gradually resume eating solid foods. Meanwhile, you can use the non-prescription medication Donagel or Kaopectate, as directed on the label, to help control diarrhea.

With diarrhea, you should call if you don't improve after three days -- or if the diarrhea gets worse. Also call if your diarrhea is bloody, if you have severe abdominal cramps associated with nausea, vomiting and fever, or if you are ill after having recently returned from a trip to another country.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:34 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

The doctor gave you all some good advice about considering the source of the information. Here is a link to a CDC (Center for disease control) publication.

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/VIS/vis-flu.pdf[/url]

Closed Thread