It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 11:03 AM   #1

Autumn-Wind HB User
Question Anyone had a Flu Shot?

I'm thinking about getting the Flu shot this year for the first time. But I heard that some people actually get the flu when they first get the shot. True? Does the shot actually work well?

Old 10-24-2003, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
I've heard that the flu shot is only geared towards the strain they think will hit the hardest that year, you can get a different strain that isn't protected from the shot. IF you do get the flu they say it really isn't from the shot but a mild strain. So saith the medical journal. I have never had one, I'm 55 and the one and only time I had the flu was at the young age of 22 and never again. I've tried to get the shot in the past but the time I'm about ready to get one I come down with my seasonal sinus infection that lasts from late Oct to Dec on and off and I hear you shouldn't get one if feeling ill or have an infection, even if I feel fine I have infection going, with autoimmune disease it is a never know when. So I hope someone can enlighten us about the shot, I have no allergies to eggs but on TV they add and other properties of the vaccine, how do I know what the other properties of the vaccine are anyway?

[This message has been edited by NancyH (edited 10-24-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2003, 10:03 AM   #3

luvmyboys HB User
Hi! I just had a flu shot on Friday. The consent form you have to sign will list any other contraindications for not getting the shot. I never used to get a shot, but then I did catch the flu 2 years ago and had never been so sick in my life. I was down in bed with a fever of 102.5, extremely weak ( hard to walk or even move) and so achy I didn't even want to touch my legs or any muscle in my body. I was also nauseous, had a sore throat and a cough. Let me tell you, it's hard to cough when you're so weak. This lasted about 4 days and another 4 days before I was 100%. A shot is well worth it compared to that. Most people can get them as long as you don't have a fever at the time. They are predicting a bad flu season this year because the places like Australia had a bad flu season during their winter and those are the places they study.
Just go to the place you want to get the shot and ask to read their consent form or ask them questions. They'll let you know if you can't have one.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #4

luvmyboys HB User
Forgot to add, I never got the flu from the shot. If anything, people can get flu like symptoms, but they are so mild and are listed as systemic side effects of the shot. Most people don't get them. I have a lot of medical problems, ibs, panic disorder, depression, interstitial cystitis, gastritis, gerd and fibromyalgia. I am also underweight. They usually suggest that I do get the shot. I am also the type that if there is a side effect, I'll get it and I was fine with the shot. Just some stiffness in the arm.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:19 AM   #5

XoThatGirlXoXo HB User
I got the flu shot for free for 3 years in a row. I worked in a nursing home and a preschool so they offered it for free because we were concidered "high risk" for the flu.I never got the flu from the shot. The only thing I have heard of is some people will get a slight fever and a little achiness, but no one really get the full blown flu from it. Last year was the first year I didnt get one, and I got the flu. It was TERRIBLE. I was so weak/dizzy I could not even stand up. Everything on me hurt. I was so sick for a week. You dont want to get the flu so I suggest if you have a chance, get the shot.

------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cant change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

§ Mary §

§ Mary §

Old 10-30-2003, 04:00 AM   #6
(female)

urid HB User
I had the flu once, but since that one time I will gladly stand in line for hours to get a flu shot, even if there is just a small chance it might help. A lot of people will get stomach virus, with vomiting, etc which is NOT the flu. Most people don't barf with the type of flu for which the shots are given. If in doubt ask your doctor, you cannot get the flu from a shot.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Got the flu shot

I broke down and got the flu shot last monday the 27th, now I have a sinus and respiratory infection, go figure I would probably have gotten it anyway right? Maybe it will be a milder version than my usual winter sinus stuff. Of course it has only been a week and I hear it takes 2 weeks to be effective, my luck I'm a week short. So why would I get this? Is it already in the making before I got the shot? Is it a mild form of another strain? Just curious never had one for 55 yrs and I'm plagued with "was it the good thing to do"? Oh well anyone?

Closed Thread