It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #1

AbleLena HB User
Post Why that odd "sick smell" that happens with a flu?

I'm just curoius...

So, I've had a cold for the last few days. Last night, it turned into a flu, and so this morning, I woke up having that odd sick-smell. You know what I'm talking about? Whenever I have a very bad cold or a flu, my body smells odd - sort of stale. Not a particularly bad smell - but it's always the same weird smell whenever I'm sick. And I've noticed that other people get this same odor when they're sick.

What the heck causes this odd sick-smell? Even if I bathe, it comes right back within an hour. Other than that, I don't smell sweaty, or bad. Just weirdly stale. Does the immune system put out some sort of odor when it kicks into high gear to attack a flu?

Lena (ever curious about mundane things)

Old 10-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
(male)

GetGhostNucca HB User
Hey, I've wondered about that too. I don't think your body actually smells, I think that your nose is going through so much crap that you just think you smell stale. Because sometimes, your nose will clear up but you'll still feel sick, but you won't smell that stale-ness anymore. But hey, I'm not a doctor(yet) so don't listen to me. lol

------------------
"I don't like it when my juice wears tights"--Dane Cook

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

caperbutterfly HB User
Hey, I hear you. I have the flu too. I'm sick of being sick. I think the smell is from a fever. It increases your natural body odour. Hope you're feeling better soon.
DS 10

M/C 10 years
M/C Aug 2003
M/C Feb 2004

Old 11-18-2003, 06:13 AM   #4

Lochnessie HB User
I think because some of you have a fever, this might increase your body temp, make you sweat, and thus the odour. I know that's usually why I get that "sick smell" Too, your body is porous, so it might be your body's way of getting rid of the illness. Kind of like when you've been eating garlic...the smell can emanate from your pores.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:35 AM   #5
(female)

DottyG HB User
Re: Why that odd "sick smell" that happens with a flu?

This may sound weird, but when my cat has a cold, I notice the same smell in the air. You can tell someone is sick in a home - even if it's an animal.

So, I know exactly what you're talking about. Don't have an answer, but I do know that smell!

Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

I was working in the church nursery one week with a lady who says she can always tell a child is sick by a certain smell.

Old 11-26-2003, 05:24 AM   #7

carolinastar HB User

I know what you saying

Closed Thread