It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Help, is there a nasty cold/virus going around

I started with a cough last week and it progressed into a situation where I coughed for 4 straight hours nonstop. I finally got some cough medicine from the doctor which helped a little.

From there, this thing hit my head and sinuses and I felt miserable. Also developed a fever of 101 degrees. I forgot about the bad sore throat. This has been the worst cold/virus that I have ever had.

I can't find many other people that are sick this time of year so I was wondering if there were others out there.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to twanger For This Useful Post:
Mommabear16 (11-22-2011)
Old 06-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

chis HB User
Re: Help, is there a nasty cold/virus going around

Don't worry your not alone with being sick at this time of year. It started with a sore throat a few weeks ago. I started using the zinc nasal swabs in hopes it would shorten or lessen the symptoms of a bad cold. Thought it was working when the sore throat went away but then I started to get sinus pain and just felt generally ill. Then it eventually went to my chest with constant cough. Until I was able to get up some stuff in my chest I felt horrible. Then I continued to cough but it felt like it came from a post nasal drip. Just started to get over the coughing after over 3 weeks. Hope you start to feel better also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Yup, I've had it and agree that it was the worst cold EVER! It took 8 WEEKS for the cough to go away and then I caught something similar again, only it was much milder. In all my 38 years I had never been sick like that -- like a cold, flu, sinus infection and extreme hayfever all rolled into one! And it was way longer than any other cold I'd ever had, to boot.

My son is battling it right now - he is on day 9, and it is just starting to ease a bit. I swear, the SUPERBUGS are coming!!!!! They're already here!

Last edited by kitkat77; 06-09-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:12 AM   #4

strensk HB User

I just got hammered by something similar. It started in my chest. For no reason I just started coughing. It was actually producing mucus too, which seemed odd. Then by the morning (I was working a 12 hour night swing shift) I could feel it migrating to my head.

I went home and got the usual things that help me cope. NyQuil, ColdEeeze, Cough Drops, Chloraseptic, and my favorite product so far Mucinex. I got over the initial symptoms in about two days, but now I just have this bloody cough that just sucks. Plus I have a little bit of a 'rattle' in my chest when I take a really deep breath, which of course leads to more coughing.

The biggest plus about this is, I actually quit smoking. Yay me!

***Edit Oh just a quick question. When I do cough, if it is producting the sputum (mucus) is a yellowish green with no other colours. How long has anyone else who has had this thing been coughing?

Last edited by strensk; 06-10-2005 at 02:31 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to strensk For This Useful Post:
my sassy (09-17-2011)
Old 06-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thanks so much for your replys. It is the worst cold I have ever had. Started with a cough and went to my head. Usually, colds go the other direction.

If you are having a yellowish/green mucus come up maybe you should call the doctor. That could be a sign that you need antibiotics.

Actually, I started on them at the start of this thing and the mucus is clear. My doctor, who usually doesn't like to give antibiotics felt that it was necessary for this one.

I am still feeling weak and have a slight fever but seem to be improving. It looks like it takes some time with this one.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #6

strensk HB User

The color seems to have gone more to a white, or clear now. I still have a cough which can be annoying from time to time, but the rattle in my chest is mostly gone too. So, things seem to be clearing up. Hopefully I wolln't need to get any antibiotics.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

Ugh. My 8 month old son just got this virus yesterday..... He has never been sick at all since he was born - of all the viruses to catch first, he had to get THIS one??!!!!

Yellow or greenish mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics as it too is common in a viral infection. The only way to tell if it is or has turned into a bacterial infection (which is the only time antibiotics are needed) is TIME. You need to give it at least a week to 10 days and if by then you are not feeling better or are feeling worse, it's time to see the doctor.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
(female)

angelic_shan HB User

I have it right now omg I feel like crap ugh. This is my 5th day going on 6th that I have had this. It started out with me thinking I had bad sinus problems because I was draining sooo bad I woke up choking then it went into a bad sore throat and cough with the draining still...I couldnt swallow anything it was so bad had to keep spitting. I went to the doctor because I was not able to sleep or swallow stuff and got a medicine that stops coughing, drys you up and lets you sleep...well lets just say that didnt work well. Then my drainage finally went away when I started coughin up stuff of wonderful colors so I was put on antibiotics. For the past 4 days I have had a fever of over 100 in which 2 nights it almost got to 102 and 1 night it got to 102.7. I took tylenol to break it because I was getting a little crazy with a high fever. My nose was so clear in the beginning now its so stuffy and runny and I constantly have to blow it (without it doing a darn thing) to clear it so I can breathe. I am coughing so bad that my whole stomache hurts. I think its the flu but I dont know because I am not achey at all and not all that weak even though I feel like crap because of the symptoms.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

angelic shan- I know what you are saying. It was the worst cold that I have ever had and made me miserable. I am now in the third week of it. My nose has cleared somewhat but I still have some coughing. I felt really, really bad until about day 16 when I felt a little better for the first time.

Hang in there, it does get better. I don't know how long the coughing lasts because it is still bothering me.

The Following User Says Thank You to twanger For This Useful Post:
my sassy (09-17-2011)
Old 06-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
(male)

ptadude15 HB User

has anyone had a loss of appetite with this cold. because i have had a sinus infection for 9 days and i started antibiotics 4 days ago but i just have no appetite. i dont know if its from the actuall infection or just the constant worrying im doing about being sick so long

Old 06-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

My appetite was off a little but it was not too bad. I think you are worrying about being sick so long. That has me a little worried also.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #12

BlueBelle2 HB User

It hit me last Saturday morning - I can pinpoint exactly when, I went from feeling fine to sneezing and blowing my nose. I'm still stuffy and it's traveled to my chest, I've been using mucinex to help loosen it. A lot of coughing, nose blowing, achey.

I never know if it's allergies or something more serious, I suffer from all kinds of environmental allergies, I inherited it from my dad. He gave me a Neti Pot, to irrigate my sinuses, it really helps and gets a lot of stuff outta there. If it gets worse, I may need to call the doc., I already have an appt in 2 weeks.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:49 AM   #13
(female)

sarie HB User

Hey, I just put up a post about suspect whooping cough but what you are all describing sounds and awful lot like what I got except that I also got tonsillitis since I'm prone to it.
I started off with a fever and runny nose, which then developed into blocked sinuses and then tonsillitis. The drip from my sinuses and tonsills caused me to cough uncontrollably making me really sick. I had a very high fever for a couple of nights of over 100F although this settled when I took Nurofen Cold and Flu, which might I add is a very nice symptom represser if you really are feeling bad and want a break.
For my sinuses I inhaled 8 drops of olbas oil in steaming water and after doing this four or five times a day my sinuses cleared enough for me to breathe again.
I completely lost all will to eat so it sounds like the loss of appetite is fairly common.
I had the most severe symptoms for roughly 15 days and spent most of those two weeks in bed or on the sofa but I am now at day 19 and feel a lot better generally apart from the extremely severe cough that I have.
Again I must recommend Nurofen Cold and Flu as a great relief from symptoms as it is the only over the counter pain relief drug I have tried which relieves fevers and throat pain alongside aches and pains and other milder symptoms.
I hope you all feel better soon...

Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I finally got some relief yesterday from the cough. It has been 21 days and I barely coughed at all. That is the good news. Now for the bad, it seems to have settled in my sinuses. This has been a long one, for sure.

Closed Thread