It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

NathanF41 HB User
Chest cold that won't go away!

Hey people,

I had a cold that started in my head over a week and a half ago. It had pressure in all my sinuses, but wasn't an infection. After like 3 days or so, the runny nose, post nasal drip, sore throat stopped.

Since then it moved into my chest. It isn't really bad, but I"ve been coughing ever since...mainly in the late afternoon. It isn't hacking or awful...but it's a tickle. Lasts from afternoon to evening. I'd call it a cough...not severe. I think I'm also a bit congested, like getting a little less air. I only really noticed this because I'm a singer and was having a lot of trouble sustaining breath last time I was performing and was getting lightheaded.

So my question is...is it normal for the cough and short air to last for a week like this after the worst of the cold has gone away? I feel like it's just kind of stuck in my chest. How do I get it to go away? I have to perform again this weekend and I need my air. It would be nice to stop coughing. I haven't taken anything yet...not sure what to take...but I also just want to make sure this is normal.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Re: Chest cold that won't go away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF41
Hey people,

I had a cold that started in my head over a week and a half ago. It had pressure in all my sinuses, but wasn't an infection. After like 3 days or so, the runny nose, post nasal drip, sore throat stopped.

Since then it moved into my chest. It isn't really bad, but I"ve been coughing ever since...mainly in the late afternoon. It isn't hacking or awful...but it's a tickle. Lasts from afternoon to evening. I'd call it a cough...not severe. I think I'm also a bit congested, like getting a little less air. I only really noticed this because I'm a singer and was having a lot of trouble sustaining breath last time I was performing and was getting lightheaded.

So my question is...is it normal for the cough and short air to last for a week like this after the worst of the cold has gone away? I feel like it's just kind of stuck in my chest. How do I get it to go away? I have to perform again this weekend and I need my air. It would be nice to stop coughing. I haven't taken anything yet...not sure what to take...but I also just want to make sure this is normal.
Hi Nathan, Sounds like your virus is running its course. Do you have a history of allergies? Allergies , too, can cause alot of trouble and the symptoms you have. For your congestion and that tickle/cough you have i would try an over the counter decongestant/cough medication (providing you arent allergic to that type of medication). See if that helps, if your symptoms persist or get worse in any way, including coughing up phlegm that is anything other than clear, i would then go to a doctor to be evaluated.

Good luck and keep on singing!!!!!
ValleyGurl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 AM   #3
(female)

aanikasma HB User
Re: Chest cold that won't go away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF41
Hey people,

Well, it sounds like what's moving around down here in the Texas area. Everyone seems to be doing the same as you. I'd let it runs it's course but I have noticed that decongestants work well for me (non drowsy - daytime).

Closed Thread