It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #1

carefreeguy HB User
Unhappy Sick of this cough...what do I do?

My name is Justin. I am 25. Three weeks ago, I came down with a really bad cold, stuffy/runny nose, congestion, ful-like symptoms and a cough. Most of my symptoms are fairly gone now, it took awhile. Now my cough has gotten so bad, I can hardly sleep. I am coughing so much, my voice is going, and I am up all night, coughing my head off. I cough so hard I gag and sometimes puke. I haven't taken a thing for it..I just thought it would go away. Its gradually gotten worse, and now if I cough too hard, it brings on a headeaches. My throat feels very sore, and my voice has not fully come back. It sounds lke a deep, wet, smokers cough almost, and once i start, I can't stop! People are telling me I sound horrible, and now I don't know what to do. I know something is terrible wrong...and I am getting very tired from not sleeping properly. Is this just a cold, or should i take something for it?

Old 08-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
(male)

uk_worried_guy HB User
Re: Sick of this cough...what do I do?

hi there, i would suggest going to see a GP to rule out a chest infection! it could also be a post-nasal-drip from a sinus infection causing your cough. Either way, its nothing serious, even though - when your coughing like that - it can feel pretty serious!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

sounds like bronchitis or strep. you need a z-pack....and an inhaler for cough....i had the same thing...1 month ago!!

Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 AM   #4

little hamster HB User

u sound like u have asthma? I am feeling exactly how you feel now. When I first have those scratchy throat and keep coughing non stop and those wet deep coughs like a smoker,(i am not a smoker) and also having my runny nose now. I asked my gp who treated me from young whether is post nasal drip but he said no, and say it can't happen all the time due to what the trachea is blocking ... I can't remember what he said. But to rule out the thing abt post nasal drip, blow out your nasal mucous as often as possilbe, and if it is white mucous it means your infection is clearing. My gp said it is my asthma, and my bronchus tubes linning being very sensitive, so as the same time my runny nose starts, the bronchus linning also produces the extra mucous to fight infection. So, try using inhaler for asthma(to help your bronchus to relax @ same time expel the sticky mucous), take more vitC, I take about 1gram a day, and when you sleep at night, elevate your head with pillows so that you will reduce the post nasal drip, and syrup you take expectorant for wet coughs or non-expectorant(cough suppressants) syrup for those dry and hacking coughs. Mine haven't fully recover yet, but feeling much better. Today is my 7th day of illness after the initial cold. I don't feel shock because everytime after a cold, this really happen all the time. After using my inhaler, I use bricanyl, my cough gets better. Have some meds to treat the congested nose too. For my nose, I am taking fenfedrin and cirrus, no idea if u know what is that..because of different names on the market..hahah

Old 09-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Yup, I'd be guessing chest or sinus infection...if it doesn't clear up soon, I think a trip to the doc would be in order. Good luck!

Closed Thread