It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
(male)

Johndg2 HB User
lingering extreme fatigue after being sick

It started 16 days ago when I stayed up all night in the bathroom vomitting with diarreha until 10:00am. Then I just slept and felt really weak for the next two days, slowly regaining energy, and my appetite. By the 4th or 5th day, I started to feel like myselg again, except I was still very tired.
But now, 16 days later, I'm still sick. Mainly I'm VERY tired ALL the time. I feel like my head's in a fog. My head feels stuffy, heavy and sick. Also I feel like I need to take deep breaths every so often. I feel horrible, especially when I do anything. I'm trying to exercise very lightly. But I'm only good for about 10 minutes or so.
I'm wondering if I should see a doctor. I'm so tired that I have no energy for anything, and my head feels like a foggy mess. How long wiil this last. Usually, after the initial blow form a virus, my body will completely recover in a week. Is it possible that I messed up my recovery by trying to exercise after the 5 or 6 days of getting sick. Also, I quit smoking the night I got sick. I know that can cause fatigue, but this is unreal. In fact I really dont even want to smoke.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User
Re: lingering extreme fatigue after being sick

I got the flu on Friday Jan 6 -- just sore throat, fever and congestion, not the stomach flu. I took Tamiflu and felt better on Wednesday Jan 11, except for fatigue. And we're talking, I'm so tired I can barely function. I got up today at 10 a.m., was up for about 3 hours and then all of a sudden was overcome with fatigue so bad that I went back to sleep, from 1 p.m .until 5 p.m. And it was the drooling, dreaming kind of sleep.

Yesterday I walked around in a fog and could barely get things done, had no patience for my family.

I sure hope this doesn't last 16 days or more!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User

John,

Sometimes CFIDS starts in this manner (I only mention because of the symptoms you report here). I certainly hope this is not the case, but If your extreme fatigue, brain fog, etc. continue, you might check out the CFIDS Fdn. home page for a list of qualifying symptoms. CFIDS is thought to be a virus similar to that which causes MS, AIDS, Lupus, etc. This said, you may just have a residue of your previous illness that is hard to shake.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Hoping it's not the type of flu I've had for going on 5 weeks now. Hit me suddently........fever/chills/body aches/extreme tiredness.

Took 3+ weeks to start being able to walk around the house, but even now, right around 2PM, I get a low grade fever, and I'm in bed for the rest of the day.

If I try to go out, it makes it worse.

But I would go & rule out anything else.

Take care...............carole

Old 01-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
(male)

Johndg2 HB User

thanks for the comments. I think its too early to say CFIDS. I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday to see what they say. Thanks- John

Old 01-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

carrielynn HB User

Okay, I actually had a good day today, relatively. I woke up earlier than I have been -- 9 a.m. (I know that's still late but it's earlier than I've woken up all week.) I was pretty productive, I exercised, and I didn't feel tired all day. I hope this isn't a fluke.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
(male)

Johndg2 HB User

great! at least someone is feeling better.
I felt better a week ago. The last two days have been really bad for me. It definately feels like the virus is still with me. I took some antibiotics I had too see if it was a bacterial bug. But two days on those have done nothing. Wonder if I should stop taking them.

Closed Thread