It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
(male)

Hscholar HB User
Question Cold or Not..........very confused

Ok, I am confused about this. I shaved my head bald just for the hell of it 3 weeks ago, and the very next morning I woke up with what seemed to be a very annoying cold. I was sneezing a lot, I had a runny nose all day, and at work I was having to blow my nose every 2 minutes. I had to take Dayquil all throughout the day to survive. I wore a beanie on my head to bed the next night, and the very next day, it was like nothing was wrong with me at all. I was fine for the next two weeks, and then I decided to shave my head again. The exact same thing happened to me-woke up next morning with a nasty cold, but was gone the very next day. Now, as I understand it, it has been proven that you cannot catch the cold bug from just being cold or chilled....so why then, because my head was cold those two seperate nights, did I catch cold the very next day? And I always thought that a cold lasts for more than 24 hours. One other thing that I noticed-when I felt sick, but then sat in the jacuzzi submerged up to the top of my neck, all my symptoms dissappeared. Once that little tiny spot on the back of my neck(which had no hair at the time)was under hot water,or when a hot shower hit that spot,
all my cold symptoms were gone for the time being. What's up with that?
I am not sick now, and do not plan on shaving my head all the way again, but I am just very confused and curious about this. My father, who is a retired anesthesiologist, could not offer me any usefull explanations. He just seemed top stop responding to my email questions about "why". So any explanations will be appreciated. Thankyou.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
(male)

Hscholar HB User
Re: Cold or Not..........very confused

Hmmm..........I guess since no one responded to this post, that means that everyone is as confused as I am about these occurences. I dunno, maybe it was just cooincidence.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
(female)

seagoddess HB User

it was probably just a coincidence. However, my elderly great aunt used to tell me that the worst thing you could do in the winter was to go without a hat. It is an old wives tale, but there may be truth in it.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

The only thing I can think of is maybe something that you used to shave your head with (shaving cream, etc.) you might be allergic to? Hard to say?

Old 02-20-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
(male)

Hscholar HB User

I agree, however, but eventhogh it is an old wives tale, there had to be a reason why people in yesteryears got sick from being in the cold. I still think that if you put a person in the cold with wet hair, or naked, or wet clothes for a period of time...they will still stand a good chance of catching cold. How many scientific experiments did they do for this? What about that tiny spot on the back of the neck that keeps you warmer when it is warm. Try it sometime when in a hot shower-let the water just hit the top of your shoulders to the rest of your body, and then move your whole neck to base of skull under hot shower. See if you feel a difference in the way you feel. Better yet, do it when you have a stuffy or runny nose or other cold symtoms. See if they go away for the time your neck is under. I may just be weird, but it works for me. And what about the people that catch pnemonia from being out in the cold for too long, is that and old wives tale too??

Last edited by Hscholar; 02-20-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Closed Thread