It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
(male)

Darshan96 HB User
CONSTANT Cold

For the last 6 months or more I have had an on going problem with constant pleghm (sp), and runny nose. Its gotten so bad I feel like I have lost my sense of smell to a certain extent. The symptoms got a lot worse in the past few weeks. I got a really bad cough, although thats dwindled down a lot, and I cant sleep without waking up at least once to blow my nose. I will blow my nose completely, only to feel like my nose is stuffed 30 seconds later. More than anything, its just really IRRITATING. I hate being at work or in class and always sniffling. (Its also not very "cool" on dates).

Anyway, here is some info about me...so if any doctors out there are reading this they can get a better idea.

Symptoms (as of late): Constant runny nose, and sinus congestion. Now my ears become "clogged," and I have to yawn to "clear" them out, a little cough, and occasionally head aches at the bottom of my forehead.

Medications: Zyrtec, Allegra, Robitussin Cold and Cough liquigels, Sudafed Sinus, and every other kind of "cold relief" and expectorant you can think of.

Age/Lifestyle: 23 year old male, history of severe allergies from mothers side, although Ive never had this big of a problem until 6 - 7 months ago. My diet isnt spectacular but I eat like a student - whatever I can afford/find. I try to stay away from fast food, etc. I work out sporadically.

Height/Weight: 5'7", 140lbs.

Anyway, if anyone knows what the problem is please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User
Re: CONSTANT Cold

Have you considered that acid reflux is causing the problem? Reflux doesn't necessarily cause heartburn (gerd). When the acid escapes your stomach (due to weak esophageal spinchter muscles), the acid can rise into your throat and damage the sensitive tissues there, including your larynx. The mucusy coating of your throat is an excellent acid-conveyer, bringing acid througout your nasal and sinus passages. The result of this acid are erosions througout your nasal and sinus passages and discomfort. This kind of acid reflux is called larygopharyngeal reflux (LPR). People frequently have 1 or more of these most common symptoms: 1) chronic cough 2)difficulty swallowing 3)feeling that something is stuck in the throat. Sometimes acid can actually get into your lungs once it's in your throat, and cause asthma-like symptoms.

The cough results from acid landing on the larynx. The larynx has no natural protection, so the body coughs to get it out. So the cough isn't originting from your lungs after all.

For a diagnose, you'd visit an ENT (ear nose and throat doctor, also called an otolaryngologist). They would do a simple scoping of your throat and look for evidence of reflux (swelling and redness). Treatment of LPR is 2 doses of a PPI like Nexium per day.

Please visit the GERD message board and read the posts on LPR to see if the symptoms resemble yours.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
(male)

Darshan96 HB User

hmm sounds interesting. I dont really have difficulty swallowing or any sore throat like symptoms. I also dont have any stomach issues or anything. But who knows? Either way...the main problem for me is the constant nasal/sinus congestion, and pressure. Its literally a 6 month cold. On my "best day" ill only have problems in the morning and be fine the rest of the day with multiple medecine use. On crappy days, I look like a stupid monkey that constantly mouth breathing or a coke addict who is constantly sniffling and doing the whole "knuckle to nose" bit. Anyway you get the picture.

Last edited by Darshan96; 03-15-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

seagoddess HB User

try eliminating all dairy products such as milk, cheese for a week and see if you get better.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Darshan,

You don't have to have stomach problems to have acid reflux. I know it might sound counterintuitive, but chronic acid reflux will give you a 6 month cold.
Just think about it logically - there is an area of pressure at the bottom of the esophogous that keeps acid from rising into the esophous. There is also an area of pressure at the top of teh esophagous that keeps acid from rising into the throat. One or both of these areas can weaken and become flacid, usually due to a permanent reaction to prescription drugs.

The acid in the stomach is hydrochloric acid - this is super strong stuff and causes burns and erosions when it escapes the stomach. The stomach can handle it only because the stomach has a special coating to protect it from the acid. When the acid gets into your throat, it gets into the mucous and gets smeared all around the sinuses and nasal passages, causing pain, irritation, chronic cough, and occasionally a feeling of a lump in the throat or difficulty swallowing. It's very unpleasant.

Acid Reflux is considered to be a major cause of chronic cough. I really think you ought to at least eliminate the possibility of this before you look at other treatements. All you need to do is ask your doctor for a prescription for Nexium, 40 mg, 2x per day. If it is acid reflux, you should begin to feel better within 20 minutes to 2 weeks. I was one of the lucky ones whose symptoms totally went away after 20 minutes, and like you, I had a cough for 6 months. Considering how difficult it is to get a proper diagnosis for any long-term sinus/throat/cold condition, you really ougth to just take the 2 weeks and give this a shot. At best, you fix the problem. At worst, you've eliminated a possible cause.

Remember, The Official Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants published a great article on this subject in 2002, called Laryngopharyngeal reflux—It’s not GERD. Maybe your library has it.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

One last thing -

As I mentioned, you don't have to have any stomach problems to have reflux. Even if you do have reflux, your stomach isn't producing too much acid. The problem is that your esophageal spinchter muscles are letting too much acid escape your stomach. The only way, unfortunately, to treat reflux is by lowering the amount of acid in the stomach - because at least lowering the acid means that less acid will escape the stomach. It's a case of treating the symptoms and not the cause, but we don't have any drugs yet that can tighten up the weakened spinchter muscles.

Please visit the GERD board where there is a lot of discussion about larygopharygeal reflux. It's not always in the headers, but I'd say that over 50% of the GERD baord posters have LPR, and the 50% have heartburn. Some have both.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

Have you actually seen a Dr. about this? I have bad allergies as well and cold & flu season has been excruciating for me this year because of pollen being so high.I don't know if it's just the area I live in but it is affecting people with allergies bad this yr.I was sick like that 2 out of 3 weeks this month.One of the things my bf told me is stop taking so much medicine and maybe you'll get better.I did and started improving in a couple days.All the over the counter stuff isn't good for your system and you build a tolerance after a while and then it's no good anyway.I had to drink vodka and juice to make myself sleep though.
One thing that helped me while I was sick and sleep good was using a product called Sinucleanse.It's a drug store netti pot.Most drug stores have it.It's just a natural saline nasel wash to clear the gunk out and it dries you up too.I think it's the salt in it which felt good,too.I felt like I was getting addicted to it it was so relieving.
Regardless you should see an ENT because you could have a sinus infection and you need anti-biotics to get rid of it.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

Chronic sinus infection can cause this too. My dad and my husband both suffer from it. With my husband, his nose is almost constantly clogged. He also has the popping in the ears. My dad has mainly a runny nose and a little coughing.

Barb

Old 04-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
(male)

superchef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswander
Darshan,

You don't have to have stomach problems to have acid reflux. I know it might sound counterintuitive, but chronic acid reflux will give you a 6 month cold.
Just think about it logically - there is an area of pressure at the bottom of the esophogous that keeps acid from rising into the esophous. There is also an area of pressure at the top of teh esophagous that keeps acid from rising into the throat. One or both of these areas can weaken and become flacid, usually due to a permanent reaction to prescription drugs.

The acid in the stomach is hydrochloric acid - this is super strong stuff and causes burns and erosions when it escapes the stomach. The stomach can handle it only because the stomach has a special coating to protect it from the acid. When the acid gets into your throat, it gets into the mucous and gets smeared all around the sinuses and nasal passages, causing pain, irritation, chronic cough, and occasionally a feeling of a lump in the throat or difficulty swallowing. It's very unpleasant.

Acid Reflux is considered to be a major cause of chronic cough. I really think you ought to at least eliminate the possibility of this before you look at other treatements. All you need to do is ask your doctor for a prescription for Nexium, 40 mg, 2x per day. If it is acid reflux, you should begin to feel better within 20 minutes to 2 weeks. I was one of the lucky ones whose symptoms totally went away after 20 minutes, and like you, I had a cough for 6 months. Considering how difficult it is to get a proper diagnosis for any long-term sinus/throat/cold condition, you really ougth to just take the 2 weeks and give this a shot. At best, you fix the problem. At worst, you've eliminated a possible cause.

Remember, The Official Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants published a great article on this subject in 2002, called Laryngopharyngeal reflux—It’s not GERD. Maybe your library has it.
very interesting post as i have acid problems etc! currently on medication for them, but im always suffering from a runny nose.

Closed Thread