It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

Alexusf HB User
Red face Coughing till I gag

Still have a cough- after almost 10 days- feeling fine actually the "flu" type stuff went away after 5 days. Dr said chronic bronchitis.
The problem is- once or twice a day and multiple times at night (much worse when lying down) I get a terrible itch in the very back of my throat that causes me to start coughing until I gag. I cant control it and OTC cough medicine does nothing. Its quite embarrassing when it hits during the day at work as I come close to throwing up and red faced/watery eyes as I try to recover. It has kept me up at night too, seems worse of course when lying down. Does anyone have a REALLY good remedy for a horrible itchy cough that causes gagging?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Coughing till I gag

Over the counter Mucinex will help thin mucous and make easier to get out.

Ask your doctor for a prescription cough med, there are several that will stop the coughing like you have. Hycodan is one I use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

ALso steam with hot water as many times a day as you can. It will help to moisten the tissues and also help to break down the phlegm and make it easier to get the remaining phlegm and infection out.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesss
ALso steam with hot water as many times a day as you can. It will help to moisten the tissues and also help to break down the phlegm and make it easier to get the remaining phlegm and infection out.
add eucalyptus oil to the water. it is a natural decongestant. take one garlic oil capsule 5000mg an hour before bed- it is a potent decongestant but also boosts the immune system. make sure that is one that HASN'T been de-odourised though- de-odourising tampers with the active ingredient of garlic (allicin) and so renders it far less potent. don't worry about the bad breath though- taking it at night will mean the smell has dissapeared by the morning but you'll reap the benefits all night long. in the day use liquorice root capsules- it has natural expectorant (removes phlegm) properties, helps with excessive coughing and again acts to boost the immune system. avoid this at night though (hence the garlic suggestion for this time) as it can cause insomnia in some people due its action on the adrenal glands. also avoid it if you suffer from high blood pressure. hope these suggestions help.

alex.

Closed Thread