It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Home remedies for a cold

I know there are remedies for the common cold, such as garlic and echinacea, but do they actually work? Has anyone had any success with these? Or, does anyone know of any home remedies that utilize things that are more commonly found at home?

I'm just really curious because I don't want to walk around in school all day with wads of tissue crammed up my nostrils - it's annoying enough to sleep like that without being seen by classmates sporting the not-so-attractive bits of toilet paper.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

princesspixie HB User
Re: Home remedies for a cold

Having a cold is no fun - especially when you have to be at school instead of resting at home. I hear that zinc also helps. Anyone tried zinc lozenges? Hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

deadsy HB User

Emergen-C works great for my husband and I. It has a ton of vitamins in it... especially vitamin C... and it makes you feel tons better while giving you an energy boost. You can find it at Wal Mart or any drugstores I am sure. Good luck!

deadsy

Old 05-08-2006, 05:44 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

There are studies that show the echinacea does not work. Additionally, it is a member of the ragweed family so if you are allergic to ragweed, you shouldn't use it.
What always works for me is to start taking Alka Seltzer Plus for colds the minute I feel one coming on. And take it faithfully every 4 hours. At bedtime, I always take a Benedryl anyway. Also, for that bedtime cough, pour a little Compho-Phenique on a tissue and hold it in front of your mouth while you sleep (have to sleep on your side to do this). It really helps! Good luck.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

I take extra vitamin C, garlic pills and zinc if I get a cold. I haven't gotten a cold in probably 2 years I think because I take daily garlic, zinc and C.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
(female)

serenityfirst HB User
Thumbs up Re: Home remedies for a cold

I am a RN and have found that supplements do help boost the immune system. It just takes a little time and dedication. It doesn;t happen overnight. My son has had numerous bouts with strep throat and he was at the point where surgery was highly recommended. He has a few things, always on stock, in his dorm room and he has become an avid believer. He knows as soon as he starts with symptoms of cold or soar throat. Take a good multivitamin 2x daily, cellwise or other antioxidant with A,C and E to fight free radicals...1-2x daily, and Zinc losenges, Vitamin C lozenges. Regular exercise helps build up the immune system, too! If you get a fever than you need to get to the doctor for antibiotic but- supplements and a multi-faceted approach is the key to strenghtening your immune system. Cut out the junk in your diet....infuse with healthy soups, vege's, fruit and high fiber. Also, a good Probiotic is highly recommended with high fiber to clean out your intestine...this is key to absorbing all the healthy nutrients!
Ask RN : serenityfirst/Monica

Old 05-18-2006, 04:31 AM   #7
(female)

elizabethellen HB User

I have had a cold for over a week now,woke up this morning feeling a pulse in my ear.Does anyone know what this means?

Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

thedeadrat83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou
There are studies that show the echinacea does not work.
what were they????

alex.

Closed Thread