It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
(female)

goatmule HB User
Frequent colds & coughs

I seem to catch very heavy colds about every 1-3 months that last for over week each time. Otherwise I feel good and eat well, get enough sleep, etc.

Is anyone else like this? I don't know what else I could do to increase my resistance and immunity to colds.

I have to take the bus to work and am exposed regularly to lots of sick people coughing and such, but I can't really help this.

Every time I get a cold it is always exactly the same - I go to bed feeling normal and then wake up the next morning with my throat feeling terribly sore and "runny". Within a few hours my nose becomes a tap and just runs uncontrollably and feels constantly tingly and itchy like I am always on the verge of sneezing. When I do sneeze they come out in violent bursts of 10-15 sneezes. I always have a headache and fever with these colds, and within about 3 days it goes to my chest and I develop a very phlegmy and frequent cough that takes about a week or more to go away.

I am really tired of it all the time.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #2
(female)

Texanne HB User
Re: Frequent colds & coughs

Hi Goatmule!

I have rarely in my life gotten colds or flu-like symptoms but during the periods that I did, I have learned what contributed and what helped: Central heat and air recirculate dry air over and over. Try keeping humidifier ( or a simmering pot of water) on when the air is really dry, and maybe keep your window cracked a bit. This keeps your membranes from dehydrating, thus letting in all kinds of germies. Wash your hands all the time! Sing the birthday song while you wash so you will wash long enough, but not so long that you dry out your skin. Use saline nasal spray when in dry air so that your nose stays hydrated. Drinks lots of liquids (water or de-caff stuff would be best), take a multi-vitamin every day. When I do start feeling that ache in the back of my neck that precedes a cold for me, I start snorting Zicam (yes it is expensive, but colds are horrible). I don't know if it is the placebo effect or if it really does what it is supposed to but I don't think I've had a full blown cold in several years. When I do get a cough I have a terrible lingering cough that keeps me up at night. I have learned to start taking those Robatussin Cough Gels (the generic works just fine) at the first sign of a cough, and keep taking them until the cough is gone. That way, the cough doesn't get to be a habit. (I hate the taste of cough syrup). Walking barefoot on a cold floor, or letting my feet get cold makes me cough more. I try to keep my feet very warm when I'm fighting a cold. My oldest son is going into tenth grade and has never missed a day of school in his school career. My nine year old went all this year with perfect attendance. They are outside a lot with sports etc... I walk outside daily. I am a substitute teacher so I tend to work the most during the winter when the teachers are out with their sick kids and there is a lot of sneezing and coughing going on! I know I haven't had a cold during the last two years!

Humidifier, hand washing, Zicam, cough gels. Maybe you need a Benedryl at night for the sneezing. This works for us!

I wish you good health!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread