It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
A cold every 2 months - WHY!?

Previous to this year, I got maybe 1 cold every 1-2 years. But this year, I got a hideous but relatively short lived cold in mid February, another slightly lesser cold in early April, and today I woke up with my typical horrible pre-cold sore throat and nose problems and it's only June! What is going on here!?

I am actually eating more healthy than I have for YEARS but it seems ever since I started eating more healthy, fresh foods that I get more colds. Doesnt make any sense to me. I'm also in the sun more, warmer weather (moved from somewhere the average temp for most of the year is about 18 or so degrees celsius, to where it's about 27 degrees celsius), I'm less stressed as I only work 5 hours a day, I'm not exposed to as many germ-ridden people as I've been on less buses to get to work...

Anyone have any ideas? I don't feel run down otherwise. I get enough sleep. Also, my partner NEVER catches my colds. I don't know why this is either...and I personally never have the faintest idea who I catch them from either...there is simply nobody I'm exposed to who is sick...is it just people in the street? If so, that is SO annoying!

Old 06-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: A cold every 2 months - WHY!?

Most likely you are not having colds, but, having allergy/sinus problems. Yes, allergies can cause sore throats too.

Have you tried taking an anahistamine, such as Zyrtec (prescription)? Mucinex is good to help keep mucous thinned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User

No no, they are colds. I have always, pretty much all my life since I was a kid, gotten exactly the same cold patterns. Wake up with a yuck throat...not that sore but just feels crap all "runny" and swollen. Then within 1-2 days, the throat goes away but the nose starts. Always sneezes and snuffles and stuffiness and runniness. Then sometimes a cough will follow.

It's all typical cold things. Also accompanied by mild fever sometimes and a heavy sort of stuffy head, sometimes slightly sore and swollen around the eyes, also blocked ears. And just general feelings of being unwell and really tired and worn out.

Then once it's gone, I feel fine again. So it's not allergies or anything. I know the difference.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
(female)

Deanne2005 HB User

The only thing I can tell you is maybe you resistance is down for some reason. Or have you changed jobs and are around more people than before?

My husband and I for the last 5 years have lived in very small towns and/or villages. I'm talking population max pop 50,000 to min pop of 2000 max. We rarely got sick, maybe one cold each every two years....if even that. We recently moved to a huge city (pop over 1 million +) and we've been sick since moving here with cold, flus and sinus infections. I think it's because were exposed to more people, I can't think of anything else.

I hope you figure yours out.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

I would also guess that something related to your move has lowered your resistance. This lowered resistance is making you more weakened when you are exposed to cold germs.
For instance, when I moved to a greener area, I developed allergies to the pollen in the area. These allergies weakened my immune system, and I was getting cold after cold. When my allergies were addressed, I stopped getting colds all the time.
Stress, lack of something in your diet, allergies, all of these things can cause your immune system to be weaker.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #6

Bubbly21 HB User

Hi Stevie

just to let you know you arent alone. i could have written that post myself, i suffer the EXACT same way and have a hideous cold now, it makes me soooo angry i have to really calm myself down. its horrible i know, and i hope we both find something to help us. have you looked into chinese or herbal remedies? i may look into this soon

Bubbly

Closed Thread