It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

SuEstrellita HB User
Adult Croup?

Hey, all...been a while since I posted but I just figured I'd see if anyone else has experienced what I'm feeling right now.

Sunday evening I felt a dull sore throat coming on (and I HATE sore throats more than anything) so when I woke up Monday morning I went to the drug store before work and grabbed some AirBorne, figuring a cold was on its way. I took a few of them throughout the day and on into the week. My cold symptoms came and went very quickly and by Wednesday I FELT pretty good. However, as the week went on my voice got weaker and weaker. I'm a teacher, and I hate taking off because I LOVE my job, but I knew it would be best to take yesterday (Friday) off, so I did. I rested my voice but didn't feel that it was getting any better. I also was unable to get long periods of rest because I would wake up with an awful dry, barking cough.

I went to Urgent Care last night at around 8 and the doctor there said he could hear wheezing in my lungs but that my ears, nose, and throat all looked fine. We ruled out allergies (I have them but never like THIS) and pneumonia. He said he thinks it's an adult form of croup. Gave me prednisone to stop the inflammation in my larynx and said I should be able to teach again by Monday.

Has anyone had any experience with "adult croup" before? I've heard croupy babies before and just never even thought about how similar my cough sounded.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

RingItOn HB User
Re: Adult Croup?

No but I had something just like you are talking about.

I had a hoarse, dry, extremely sore throat for 8 days with a fever. I found the best thing for it was not talking as little as possible, pain reliever every 4 hours, warm liquids, Guaifenesin and plenty of rest.

Guaifenesin liquifies your secretions so make sure you drink plenty of fluids.

Be careful with the prednisone because you can end up with more problems from it especially if it is a nasal spray.

Your best bet is resting your poor throat.

Hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread