It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User
problems swallowing cough syrup

It's silly.. but.. when I try to take cough syrup, I have a horrible gag reflex. I had this problem as a child, but I thought, now that I'm 23, I can handle it. Not so.

But, I really need to take it. I know I'll feel a LOT better if I am able to get that stuff in my system. Does anyone know of any tricks to make the medicine go down? (Somehow I don't think a spoonful of sugar is going to help all that much.) I've tried holding my nose.. I've tried sipping through a straw, with the straw toward the back of my mouth.. but it's something about the consistency.

Maybe there are some parents on here w/ clever ways they've gotten their young ones to take it.. Can you dilute it in other things?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
(female)

pooboo HB User
Re: problems swallowing cough syrup

I always get a cherry (ish) flavored cough syrup and mix it with a few ounces of cherry 7up. It still tastes a little gross, but much better than just straight cough syrup.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

Texanne HB User
Re: problems swallowing cough syrup

WanderingSoul, I know that you wrote this a while ago, but it will probably be a valid question for others out there. Cough syrup is horrid, there is NO doubt about it. I think that we can develop a gag reflex because we know how awful it tastes. My kids would rather cough than take it! Now, the best invention of the 21st century in my opinion are Robotussin Cough Gels. You just swallow two capsules and be done with it! There are also Theraflu cough strips, that don't taste quite as bad as the cough syrup. I knew from reading the ingredients in Tylenol Cold and Flu, and similar products, that the anti-cough ingredient in cough syrup could be packaged in capsule form, but for some reason, they NEVER made it alone, until the last two years or so! My youngest son won't even take the cough strips, so the cough gels are the greatest! Warning: They are a bit pricey, so shop online, or look for generic. Anyway they are worth whatever price (and I am a famous tightwad).

Tex

Closed Thread