It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sweet55 HB User
Coughing up stuff :*(

I have a really bad cold & so I cough alot & whenever I cough I cough something up sometimes its clear & sometimes it's yellow or green.
What I'm coughing up???
What is the clear stuff called???
What is the yellow stuff called???
What is the green stuff called???
The only thing I could think of was that it's snot but that seems really weird to be coughing that up & nasty
Also whenever I cough something up should I swallow it back down or spit it out???
If I should swallow it back down than why???
If I should spit it out than why???

Old 12-25-2006, 12:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Coughing up stuff :*(

Hi...it sounds as though you have a chest infection. You should really get it checked out and be put on antibiotics.

The stuff you cough up is sputum, consisting of phlegm, saliva and other stuff from the respiratory tract...no matter the colour. The colours determine what's going on, and since yours has yellow or green...it's in the infection stage.

If you're at home or not in proper company, spit it out into a kleenex or into the toilet....best not to swallow it if you don't have to. Reason....your body doesn't need to have extra infection in it going through the gastro tract...best to cough it up.

One wouldn't normally cough up anything from the lungs if there's no inflammation or infection.

Sometimes if one has chronic mucosal discharge from the nose, it can sit at the larynx area and just sit there.

Reflux can cause some "coughing" up of stuff...it's actually from the stomach that sits in the esophagus. Sometimes it can cause inflammation around the larynx and produce more mucus there and that can be coughed up.

Go to the doctor.....you could have bronchitis which can develop into bronchitis. As well, if you're coughing up infection, you can spread it.

Wash your hands after everytime you blow your nose and spit out into a kleenex.

Hope you feel better soon.
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Sweet55 HB User

What is mucus???
I know that u didn't say anything about it but I was just wondering what it is & what color is it???
What is phlegm???
Can musuc & phlegm get in your lungs???
If so how can it???
I thought the infection was a sinus infection at 1st because my nose would hurt & I would take medince for it & it would go away for awhile & than come back.
How does people get sinus infections???
How does people get chest infections???

Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Sweet55 HB User

What is mucus???
I know that u didn't say anything about it but I was just wondering what it is & what color is it???
What is phlegm???
Can musuc & phlegm get in your lungs???
If so how can it???
I thought the infection was a sinus infection at 1st because my nose would hurt & I would take medince for it & it would go away for awhile & than come back.
How does people get sinus infections???
How does people get chest infections???

Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Sweet55 HB User

So that's how u can tell if u have a chest infection &/ or bronchitis
is if u cough up yellow or green stuff???
Or that's how u can at least tell if u have one of them???

Where did that yellow/green stuff that I cough up come from anyways???
Did it come out of my lungs???

Last edited by Sweet55; 12-27-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
(female)

frankiesmom HB User

Mucus, if I'm saying this right, acts as a protective layer to keep stuff out of your system and when there is an overload, you get a lot of it. You know it as 'snot'. The stuff you cough up is the same stuff you blow out of your nose. I'm going through that now. Mucinex is really good at breaking it up and getting it out of your system. If you feel the urge to cough it up, do so. Don't swallow it. That will just compound the problem.

Closed Thread