It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
What to take when you cant use decongestants??

I have a heart arrythmia (tacycardia) so I cannot take decongestants. I have a serious headcold. My nose is so stuffed I cannot breathe thru it at all. LOTS of sinus pressure and sore nose and eyes. It seems to only be in my head at this point. My neck glands are swollen, but no sore throat (only at night from breathing thru my mouth).

Anyway, my husband has had the same thing and it lasted an entire week. He, however, can take cold meds. I am absolutely miserable and cannot seem to function.

What can I do to relieve some of these symtoms, make the cold go away faster...anything? I take a multi vitamin daily and the past 2 days have taken an extra 1000mg of Vit C. I have Eucalyptus oil burning. And we have a humifidier in the room. I tried nose strips, but they did nothing. I also tried a hot wet rag across my face - no results. This is making me anxious and my HR seems low (about 57)...but I am laying around all day.

I should also mention that I take nasacort and zyrtec daily for allergies. They do not seem to be helping either. I have also been using saline nasal spray throughout the day and night.

Anyway...any suggestions, advice, words of wisdom would be truly appreciated!!!

Last edited by missy101; 02-18-2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
(female)

r0cky HB User
Re: What to take when you cant use decongestants??

Have you tried anything like Mucinex? It's OTC and doesn't have a decongestant but helps to loosen up the mucus so you can get it out more easily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Hey Cheers! I have tachycardia too. Just give your doctor a quick call and ask what you can take even though you have the tachycardia. I always call them and ask when I get a cold or get sick. They are always very helpful. I would defintely give them a call so you can get something and start feeling better. I know how you feel, I am just getting over the same thing and on top of the tachycardia, I am pregnant too, so I REALLY can't take anything!

Good luck and hope you start feeling better.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

Bzzzzerk9 HB User

I also have tachycardia. The doctor always tells me to take Mucinex. You need to drink a lot of water with it in order for it to work well.

Last edited by Bzzzzerk9; 03-07-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

Tyffica HB User

Hi there...I have "MVP" and can not take them as well.
The absolute BEST remedy is "Breath Right" nasal strips.
It might be kinda funky to wear them during the day...but you will get a wonderful nights sleep...they really work!
*the Mucinex makes me tired...yuk. Tyff

Last edited by Tyffica; 03-08-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Baaad spelling :)

Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Coricidin HBP, 2 tabs every 4 hours (analgesic to releive headache, fever etc, an antihistamine to dry things up, and a cough suppresant... no decongestant to mess with your heart)

Ortivin Nasal Mist, 1 spray per nostril every 8 hours

Inhale the steam from boiling water with some eucyliptus oil in it

Last edited by aussie_jono; 03-11-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Closed Thread