It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
(female)

Charlie Tuna HB User
Post Nasal Drip with Coughing, Gagging, Choking!

For about 6-8 months now I have have symptoms of PND (post nasal drip), sometimes feeling like there is a river of mucus flowing down the back of my throat. I usually do not have a stuffy nose.

The mucus gags me and I cough and choke to the point where I have ripped my poor throat to shreds. Lately it has become so violent that it causes me to vomit. I am exhausted, cannot sleep, and at my wit's end.

I have a history of reflux for which I take Nexium daily. I do not know if increasing this would help, but I do not dare to on my own because of the fear of drug interactions. Recently I have begun an A/C regimen of chemotherapy for breast cancer, so am really terrified of adding more side effects to what there already are.

Yesterday I awoke with such violent coughing, gagging and choking on all that mucus that I called the on-call weekend doctor who told me to go to the ER. The doctor that saw me called to confer with my oncologist and they prescribed a Z-pack of antibiotics plus Pseudovent as a decongestant. So far, I notice no relief at all, just dizziness and minor nausea from the meds.

I am desperate to find a way to deal with this before I return for my next chemo treatment on Tuesday. If my reaction is anything like the first treatment, I was unable to budge from bed for the first entire week! I would have never even had the strength to cough, let alone deal with that in addition to the nausea, etc.

Do you have, or do you know anyone who has PND, and is on chemo... and how do you/they deal with it all? I am literally afraid of drowning or asphixiating from my own mucus if I do not have the strength to cough it out.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
(female)

asti HB User
Re: Post Nasal Drip with Coughing, Gagging, Choking!

Oh my. Have you checked with your doctor to see if Mucinex would help? It is sold over the counter, and there are generics/store brands available of it. I've got bronchitis and can attest to it helping with my congestion. I've got the store brand and on the box the only contraindication is for MOAIs. The one I have includes a cough suppressant along with the expectorant (Walgreens calls it Mucus Relief DM), but you can buy expectorant only versions as well.

Wishing you well on your treatments!

Closed Thread