It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User
Sore Throat for 3 weeks

I have been sick for 3 weeks now and this is what is going on: I have a sore throat and the right tonsil is extremely swollen. It is touching the dangly thing in the back of my throat and looks like a big marble. The left side is swollen, but not quite as large. There is no puss or anything on the tonsils, they are just very red.
I am also very tired and have a fever every now and then. I don't have a cough or nausia. I've been tested for mono and strep three times and all came back negative. The doctors are not sure what this can be and I've taken a round of penicillin, a round of prednisone, and a round of clindamycin with no improvement. Any idea what is wrong?

Old 09-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

tetianainto HB User
Re: Sore Throat for 3 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymid View Post
I have been sick for 3 weeks now and this is what is going on: I have a sore throat and the right tonsil is extremely swollen. It is touching the dangly thing in the back of my throat and looks like a big marble. The left side is swollen, but not quite as large. There is no puss or anything on the tonsils, they are just very red.
I am also very tired and have a fever every now and then. I don't have a cough or nausia. I've been tested for mono and strep three times and all came back negative. The doctors are not sure what this can be and I've taken a round of penicillin, a round of prednisone, and a round of clindamycin with no improvement. Any idea what is wrong?
Hi, This sounds similar to what happened to me at the beginning of the year. I had a wicked sore throat, swollen glands and earpain (referred pain from the throat - ears looked fine). Believe it or not, this lasted 3 months and I thought I was dying. Doc called it the "100 day virus" Antibiotics didn't work, nothing. I also was tested negative for strep and mono. But, it did go away eventually...I had a slight reoccurence a few months later, but less virulent. The sore throat was really the only symptom both times - no congestion, cough etc. You have a swollen tonsil as well, I see. Anyways,
the doctors told me that it's a virus, and a very bad one at that.....and nothing will help. And nothing did help, but I want to reassure you that viruses do go away, but in there own time. It was extremely frustrating....but, I did recover. Ask docs if it could be a virus, and then stay away from the antibiotics. Tiredness and on and off fever could also indicate a virus.

I hope you feel better soon and you will; likely sooner than I did.

best, c

Last edited by tetianainto; 09-10-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
(female)

Dawn B. HB User
Re: Sore Throat for 3 weeks

There is a really NASTY virus going around. I dont' know about how swollen your tonsil is, that does sound pretty bad. I think people just react differently to the same virus. I have been sick now with this thing for a month! It started out with terrible body aches, and a weird dizzy sqeazing feeling in my head, plus feeling lousy. After a week it got worse, felt like the flu. I still feel like I have the flu, and now my husband and son got it too. We all started having stomach pain and diarrhea, and nausea a week ago. My son got a snotty nose, my husband has a sore throat, I have neither of those, but the glands in my neck are sore, my body hurts, I still have that weird feeling in my head, and I just feel terrible. A lot of people are getting this, and it can last a very long time, and it can come back. Last Feb. I got some bug and was sick with it for 6 weeks. I know some who had it longer.
Not very comforting, I know, but it did eventually go away.
<><

Closed Thread