It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
(female)

CSense HB User
Help! I've caught 3 colds in 4 weeks!

Right now, I have my 3rd cold in 4 weeks. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I drink fluids, take cold liver oil and vitamins, cover up, use purell, wash my hands obsessively. The only thing I can now think of is that there may be something at the gym or that the soap is not that good in stopping germs (the bathrooms at the job and at the gym use that foam hand soap instead of the regular soap--I don't think my hands are getting that clean).

I am really concerned because I have never been sick so often. Last year, I caught 5 colds last year. Before that, I would only catch maybe 1 or 2 a year.

Another issue could be dairy, but that I am not sure about. I read that it could cause a break down in my immune system. Anyway, I am definitely planning to discuss this with my doctor during my physical.

Any suggestions on what you think could be the problem? Am I on the right track in my suspicions?

The following user gives a hug of support to CSense:
yalie22 (02-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
Re: Help! I've caught 3 colds in 4 weeks!

me too! The last one I think was the flu its in my chest now and I cant breath and I am wheezing. My ear is completely clogged also. Went to dr got antibiotics nasonex and a inhaler. I am misrable my chest is rumbling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

CSense HB User

Poor thing! It's so frustrating because I do everything as far as prevention and I still keep getting sick. Last year, I had 5 colds which was the most I've had since I was a teenager and now 2 in one month. I'm going to see my doctor next month so I will most definitely ask her what is the cause and what I should do.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

I do everything I can to stay cold and flu free also. But didnt seem to help this past month. Doesnt help working in a stuffy office with many sick people.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Most likely you never got over the first cold.

A cold usually lasts about 2 weeks minimum but can last much longer, especially if you do not give your body a chance to completely get over it.

Relapse may be your problem.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
(male)

Hguru HB User

Sounds like your body needs antioxidants to help strengthen the immune system. A good multivitamin and perhaps a fruit/veggie supplement might be in good order. Also consider echinacea.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
(female)

CSense HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800 View Post
Most likely you never got over the first cold.

A cold usually lasts about 2 weeks minimum but can last much longer, especially if you do not give your body a chance to completely get over it.

Relapse may be your problem.
That sounds plausible. I went to the gym a week after the symptoms from my last cold went away (or I thought). I felt fine that week (though I still had a lot of phlem) and didn't start to have problems until last Friday when I started to become congested. I contributed it to too much dairy, but you may be right. I was planning to exercise next week, but now I think I should wait another week for that. I guess I'll keep counting calories.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
(male)

moris10 HB User

I'll suggest you to try oregano oil softgel, two after meal y drink a lot of tomate juice .

Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
(female)

lawrain HB User

i've recently been researching colds and flu and have found some rather interesting information. The first being that colds tend to last a lot longer than you think so if you've had two or more in a month it is most likely the same cold but your body was fighting hard against it so you nearly recovered.
It is definitely a good idea to bring up about dairy to your doctor as some people can be slightly allergic and this can cause weakening of the immune system. To try and keep off any more colds and to help kill the one you have your best bet is to rest, drink a lot of water and boost your immune system. I have been recommending to use vitamin C and also black elderberry supplements to do this. Black elderberry is full of antioxidents and has antiviral properties. Hopefully your colds will become less frequent!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

this is one rough winter! I have had 3 colds and my husband it seems has had 1 real long cold . It is soo frustrating, this really never happens to me. I am using suppl. and it just seems what ever I use or do it does not matter I think too many sick people are walking around and you just keep picking things up. The Dr. even noted it is like a horrid cold season for soo many.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
(female)

kmchugh HB User

My daughter is having the same problem.. I was just going to post a message asking for suggestions. Here is her story. She came down with a cold in October that turned into a sinus infection took antibiotics for that but the congestion and cough never went away. Dr. gave her robitusin with codine to help her sleep, but said there was nothing they could do. Went back again in Dec. they put her on a qvar inhaler because she is now weezing. They told her she had RSV and it would take a few months to get better. Well in Jan she finally started to feel normal again. No stuffy nose cough very very minimul. Well yesterday, she woke up sick again!! Now what!! I have been pushing the vitamin c she is taking a multivitamin. Does anyone have any other ideas. The poor thing has been sick for almost 4 months. btw she is a teenager, not a small child.

thanks.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

I am so glad I found this board. I have had a sever cough for two weeks now. I was on an antibiotic but never seen by the doc. I am now wheezing and out of breath all the time. The doctor said that this is the worst virus, cold thing that is going around. It lasts a real long time and takes it's toll. I talked to her over the phone. I am drinking lots of water, taking vitamins, robitussin and resting but the wheezing and getting out of breath just from walking short distances is really annoying and frustrating. Should I go see my doc? Well I'd have to go to an urgent care because she is out of town for a week with no one covering. UGH>
Oh well, I'm so glad I found this site.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 AM   #13
(female)

lawrain HB User

I read an article a couple of days ago that was saying doctors are prescribing too many antibiotics for things like common colds and this is helping the bugs like MSSR get stronger as they become immune to antibiotics. From the last couple of posts it seems this might be the case!
Like i said before, try to build your immune system so that your body can fight off these colds. Up your intake of green vegetables. Vitamin C although very useful is not going to make a huge difference on its own. I've said before dark fruits are best; purple grape, blueberries and especially black elderberries. If you are giving these to children then some supplements do special supplements with lower dosages for their safety. Try Sambucol, i found this was one of the best. If you dont want to take a supplement then drink purple grape juice with breakfast.
Lets try and get rid of these nasty coughs and runny noses for good!

Closed Thread