It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innocence HB User
Does flu cause SEVERE headache? If so, what can I do?!

I seem to have a lot of flu-like symptoms along the lines of fever (ranges from 37.6 - 39C), muscle aches, blocked nose, etc. However, my headache is soo bad that no painkillers help and it feels like my head is about to literally explode!! Does anyone else have this problem?? Anything I can do to alleviate it?? It's my bday, so sucks to be ill..but meant to be going to a major party in 2 days, so really want to recover by then!!!!
Thanks!

P.S. Do those vapour rub things help at all? I'm going to try steaming tonight!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Does flu cause SEVERE headache? If so, what can I do?!

If your neck is also very painful, and you can't bend it, go to the ER right now.

If not, yes, that's pretty normal for flu. Try calling your doctor for a prescription for tamiflu or another antiviral.

Keep drinking a lot of water, and try to sleep it off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Does flu cause SEVERE headache? If so, what can I do?!

I just got over the flu which only lasted for five days thank goodness and I just wanted to say that headaches are one of the common symptoms of the flu. It hurt so bad to roll my eyes in any direction. I had to sit in a darkened room and lay in bed and tried to lay as still as possible so as not to move my head.
I also agree with Jane that if it hurts to move your neck, go immedialty to the ER so they can check you for meningitis. there's a bacterial form and there's a viral form. they can give you some pain medication too to take away the pain quickly. My fever was up to 103. They say if the fever gets to 104 to go to the hospital because a fever that high can cause a seizure.

I wish you a quick recovery and I suggest that you pick up a bottle of gatorade to hydrate your body. Be aware too that soon your temperature will break and when that happens you will be drenched with sweat. so bad that it makes your sheets feel as if you poured water on it. you will also have to change your clothing. I was scared when I woke up that wet. but the fever broke and my immune system was stonger than the virus.
I won.

Sincerely,

Linda

Closed Thread