It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

tekere55 HB User
i cant smell or taste

hae

well i have been sick for about 2 weeks and now im getting better but the problem is that everytime i blow my nose this disgusting smell appears and it makes me want to VOMIT and i cant taste anything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

FM927 HB User
Re: i cant smell or taste

Hi, wow that was exactly what I was going to post! I had the flu in March, my first flu ever, anyway besides the normal things like fever, aches and pains, stuffy nose, what really bothered me was that I started to smell, smells that were not there. I smelled frying food, something burned. My taste also was affected. Anything sweet I could taste but salty no. Last month finally Iwent to an ENT Dr. because things have gone from bad to worst. Now everything smells awful and tastes worst. I swear I eat because I get hungry, not because I enjoy what I am eating.
He told me that this sometimes happens after a viral infection and that in 75 to 80% of people everything goes back to nornal, but it can take up to a year. He also said I have an infection in the back of my mouth and allergies in my nose. He gave me a steiroid nose spray and an antifungal liquid med to take 3x a day. It tastes like my nail polish remorer and I stopped taking it. I don't feel I have a good quality of life anymore.
When I burp this awful taste comes up. I just on't know what to do!
Anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

Lynn8 HB User

I also have a flu last March that lasted a long time and after that I lost my sense of smell. (luckily taste is OK).
My ENT gave me some kind of test that he put a pipe thru my nose and he said everything is OK, but he also sent me for a brain cat scan just to be sure and luckily no cancer. He didn't want to say that my smell will come back or not, he said it is hard to tell. He said it looks like I got a viral infection. In the mean time, I just have to live with it, the sense of smell comes and goes, sometimes I can smell my cooking, sometimes not.
I am hoping it will come back someday since I heard some people did get their sense of smell back after a year.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

I get this every year when the cold and flu season come around ever since I was very young I would loose my taste and smell but after I was fully well it always came back.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
(female)

Lynn8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise98 View Post
I get this every year when the cold and flu season come around ever since I was very young I would loose my taste and smell but after I was fully well it always came back.
Glad to hear that. I hope mine will come back eventually.
I heard someone got it back after one year. Can't wait!

Closed Thread