It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

CMCG26 HB User
Why do i keep getting colds and losing my voice?

I'm a teacher and have been for years. But this last couple of years whenever I catch a cold it almost always results in losing my voice and running a temperature for a couple of days. I am feeling very guilty about the time I'm having to take of work. What can I do help myself lessen the effects of a cold? I'm getting really fed up with colds!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Why do i keep getting colds and losing my voice?

Don't eat/drink acidic foods like tea with lemon or anything that might promote acid reflux. No caffeine, no booze, no ciggies.

Stay well hydrated, use steam if you're in a dry climate. And if you do start to lose your voice, stop talking! Don't even whisper. Try not to talk unless you have to - your cords will recover faster.

The best way to avoid laryngitis is to not catch the cold in the first place but I know being a teacher means being on the front line of every cold and flu season. There's only so much antibacterial soap in the world.

Good luck, I have several teachers in my family and different colds have already swept through twice. This last one snagged five people so far, it must be a new viral strain, no one seems to have any immunity and it's highly communicable. Since everyone else is sick, I'm practically in a bunker. I've got orange juice, anti-viral Kleenex and Purell, I'm waiting this one out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Well I will join the club with you. I have been sick with cold after cold this whole school year. I am a teachers aide in an Elementary school. I have never been this sick in my entire life! I have had cold after cold and can't escape their sneezes and germs. I try to back away if I think they are going to sneeze but unfortunately that doesn't always work. I use hand sanitizer and do everything I can. I have had a fever for 3 days, body aches, chills, congestion, drainage, my throat hurts to bad I can't swallow my own saliva. I went to the doc yesterday and she said it will run its course but got me a presciption for a Z pak. I am just so frustrated. I am afraid to keep calling in to work. Somehow I feel the principal just doesn't understand. She was a bit mad yesterday when I called in again. Today I think I will drive in there sick and let them see me that way and then drive back home. I am contagious and I don't think they will want that. I hate when they make you feel bad for missing work.

All I can say is keep drinking OJ and resting, push the fluids and I have my steam vaporizer going near me. Just do what you can. I suffer with you.

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-18-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
(male)

Jris HB User

Normal, HEALTHY immune systems won't allow anything to grab hold, such as a cold.Your immune systems are compromised.Take 6-10 grams of chlorella daily.I haven't had a cold in 6 years..

Closed Thread