It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Do you have this cold/flu virus right now?

Hello all! This is day 4 in bed for me with the horrible cold/flu virus. I felt tired a few days leading up to it then here is how it's running it's course. Please let me know if you have this one...or something similiar and when it may end. Thanks!

DAY ONE SYMPTOMS

EXTREME BODY ACHES
CHILLS (CAN'T GET WARM, PILING THE BLANKETS ON)
HEADACHE REAL BAD
THROAT AND EARS STARTING TO HURT
VEIN IN MY TEMPLES PULSATING
FEVER SPIKED AT 100.8

DAY TWO SYMPTOMS

BODY ACHES (EVERY MUSCLE IN MY BODY HURTS TO TOUCH OR MOVE0
SOME CHILLS
HEADACHE SUBSIDING
CONGESTION IN SINUS'S STARTING
THROAT AND EARS HURTING BAD
LOW GRADE FEVER RUNNING BETWEEN 99.3 AND 100.1

DAY THREE SYMPTOMS

BODY ACHES (MAYBE NOT AS BAD)
HOT (BODY IS TRYING TO FIGHT OFF INFECTION OR VIRUS)
THROAT HURTS REAL BAD AND LEFT EAR
CONGESTION
RUNNING NOSE AND EYES
SLIGHT COUGH
LOW GRADE FEVER RUNNING BETWEEN 99.3 AND 100.0
INSOMNIA

DAY FOUR

BODY FEELS A LITTLE BETTER
SKIN KIND OF HURTS TO TOUCH
RIBS ARE SORE FROM COUGHING
THROAT FEELS LIKE I AM SWALLOWING GLASS
SEEING WHITE PATCHES ON BACK OF THROAT
SLIGHT COUGH
CONGESTION BETTER
EYES AND NOSE BETTER
LOW GRADE FEVER OF 99.5 SOMETIMES RETURNING TO NORMAL

During this whole time I have been in bed except for two trips to the doctor. First time on Tuesday. We thought it was just a headcold running its course. She presribed a Z pak just incase. I didn't start it just yet. Today I woke up at 4 am feeling hot...like i was trying to burn off the fever. My throat hurts beyond belief! I get a flashlight and look and see little white area's. I call the doctor as soon as the office opens. They get me right in and I had a strep test run. The results were NEGATIVE> I am thinking you are kidding right? Why does it hurt so bad?? She said the back of the throat can look like that when it is raw and full of drainage. I just can't believe it!

So I am back in bed and just took the first antibiotic dose of the Zithromax. She wants me on them anyway. I would rather not take any chances with as bad as I am feeling. These pills make my tummy upset. I have diarrhea for a day or two when starting them. I know they screw up the flora. But I will deal with it.

So does anyone have this flu/head cold going on???? Please tell me how long this lasts. Could it be a few more days?? Or a couple of weeks?? My husband has it too but toughs it out at work. I have had a week off. I feel that rotten. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Do you have this cold/flu virus right now?

My household has been hit by the same bug...no, more like a freight train!

My teenage son was the first to go down last week. I was up and down all night and day, trying everything to soothe him. He recovered, and is back to school.

It hit me hard Sunday night, I never saw it coming...and blame myself for bragging about how mom's never sick. I got exactly 24 hours of sympathy, before my hubby got hit.

That was about three days ago (I've lost track of the days). I think I feel better, but I'm slaphappy, and zombie-ish. My hubbys just moans and groans, coughs his lungs out (and his hernia).

The real kicker is, that I had been 4 months into menopause, and this thing knocked a period right out of me!

Your timeline is great...I wish I knew the answer, about the end of this. I'll watch this thread to see what other posters have to say about this.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

God help us Writeleft! I am so sorry you all have been struck with this too. The doctor said it's going around. I am in Iowa. But I hear it's around the country in various places. We never saw it coming. My husband has had it since last Sat. But he keeps going to work. I got it Monday morning....we make soups, Theraflu drinks,...run bubble baths for our aches. We lay next to each other and just whine a bit. Asking each other...when will it end? We honestly don't remember getting it this bad before.

Mine has definately landed in my throat. My throat just kills me and now I have a cough with the drainage coming down. I have my fingers crossed that this fever might be broken. It's been for days now. Hubby has it in the sinus's and is tired and achy all over.

I am so sorry you are all in misery there. Just take good care of each other. Take it easy. Rest when you can. I don't get much sleep because I am up taking meds or put my head over the steamy vaporizer. If I take Sudefed to open up the sinus's then it keeps me awake and I lay here watching movies. Grrrrhhh!

Tell your hubby I hope he feels better! The coughing is horrible. It hurts so bad and is aggravating, expecially if he has hernia issues, and sorry about your period deal. No fun! I am in perimenopause and this is just one more thing making me feel rotten. Just call me Debbie Downer. lol

Anyhow...keep me posted! Hang in there! This too shall pass right?
Hugs!

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-19-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Misery loves company, and it really is comforting to know that we are not alone! How are you two feeling today?

It is amazing that your husband was able to get himself to work! My hubby never misses work, but this put him down. He missed Thursday and today, but were hoping that by Monday he will be able to go back. Poor guy. If it takes me longer, that's ok because I get to stay home.

I am amazed at how this thing has spread across the country, and we are only discussing it because of internet speed! I have not seen any mention of it on local news, or the paper...no other friends/family have had it.

My biggest fear has been of spreading it, so I've put myself of personal quarantine. There may have been one slip-up though...errgg. My eldest son was in town for 3 days, and he ended up staying at our neighbors house so he wouldn't get sick. We ended up seeing each other for less than a hour a day, outside. Last night I was able to have a light dinner with both my sons at a local coffeeshop, and as he was leaving...I heard "the cough"! He had a 12 hour drive ahead of him.

I wonder if we are on the leading edge of this cold/flu/virus (as you, so well named it) ?

I must be feeling much better, since I just blabbed all this out to you...Feels good to get it out-thanks!

Of course I hope this day makes us all better. I noticed feeling much better once the cough let up a little. I agree with you on the nyquil/theraflu/cough medicine buzz...it's weird. We have found that sitting up (like in the recliner) to sleep helps with the coughing. We keep rotating between the bed, the chairs, and the shower. The showers really help.

hey, thanks for listening...good thread!

Last edited by writeleft; 02-20-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am glad to hear you are all hanging in there. I hope your son does not get this. And expecially since he is on the road. Sometimes the younger you are the quicker you get over it. Everyone gets it differently too.
I hope your hubby lays low over the weekend and really babies himself. We adults can get it harder and it takes longer to get over it.

I am like you and seem to have thing last a little longer. When everyone else in the family gets sick I usually lag by a few days because I don't have the best immune system since I became hypothyroid. I have always been real healthy until the last couple of years. But regardless even the healthiest people can pick up this bug. This just shocked us because we had no idea what we were in for.

My hubby got it last Sat. and felt bad clear up until today. He just got home from work and said this was the first time he felt better in a week. He was perky and in a good mood. It gives me hope! Because I am lagging behind by a couple days from him and maybe I only have a couple of days left of this suffereing. Plus there may be a few days after that because I have things longer. His symptoms were kind of different than mine. He didn't get the severe throat pain like I did or the bad drainage and cough that I did or the fever I ran for 4 days straight. He just got the real bad body aches and bad congestion. I say he got the better end of the stick than I did. I must say I am EXTREMELY grateful that we did not have the stomach flu or vomitting with this one. I pray that doesn't happen. ( a year ago I had that one and thought I was dying...that one lasted a few days also)

So are these new cold/flu strains stronger and lasting longer? or is it just me?? I don't remember having them this bad when I was younger.

Today I have some energy returning to me. I was able to go to Walmart for a prescription and go to the health food store for a bit. It felt so good to stretch my legs and get out and walk. I really felt like I was becoming weak laying in my bed for so many days. It made me shaky and my muscles were actually hurting from laying so long.

I am really congested tonight. The worst yet. And I have a goopy cough. Not in my chest...just draining down from my sinus's.And my throat still hurts but it's managable as long as I stay on the Ibuprophen. But other than that all the other symptoms have left me. Praise God!!

Did any of you have to get some antibiotics? I don't think I would have had to except for the super bad sore throat that she wanted to make sure didn't turn to strep.

Well take care of each other! Have a great weekend and rest up! Let me know how you are both weathering the storm.

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-20-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Any better today? We decided we HAD to get out of the house today, so we did. The fresh air felt great, so we drove around with the windows open (it's warm and cloudy today) with our dogs. We returned home, washed all the bedding, towels, pj's...and I alcohol-balled the remotes, the phones, the doorknobs, the bathroom fixtures-anything I could think of.

My husband has no choice but to go to work and school tomorrow, but I wonder how he is going to get through a 15-16 hour day.

I had to send my youngest son to grandma and grandpa's, so he wont get re-infected...what a COLD/FLU/VIRUS !

I hope you and your husband are getting better...I don't remember ever being this sick. Did you get a flu shot this year? We didn't, and I regret it now.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear from you! So glad hear you got out of the house too! I only made it to the store to get groceries. My hubby went with me and it took everything in me to go up and down the aisles. I am just so daw gone weak. I am better, and the antibiotics have taken care of the sore throat. I think it is completely gone. But the antibiotics have made me lethargic, tired, gasey and tummy trouble. Maybe a small price to pay to take care of what have become strep throat. ugh!

We don't remember ever being this sick. I have a friend that has it in Indiana and he is on day 9 with this. His went into bronchitis/pneumonia. Yuck! This is a serious flu going around.

I seriously regret now not getting a flu shot this year. I have never gotten one but I think I will make a point of getting one. I just didn't think it would happen to me.

I hope your husband can make it through tomorrow. I pray he will be ok and that God will give him the strength to make it through. I miss a whole week of work last week. I have to return tomorrow and I am still not 100%. I really don't want to go but fear of getting in trouble.

Keep me posted on how you are all feeling. I sprayed down the house with lysol and also wiped down door knobs, remotes, computor keys etc...these are definately places where the virus can live.

Take care!

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-22-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

We are counting down the hours till work. My husband is also afraid of not going to work. We thought today would be the day, but it's not. Our little outing left both of us wiped out.

I will also be thinking of you tomorrow. We are both concerned about spreading this thing to anyone, especially the workplace. It is unfortunate that we have to make a choice like that! I wish you both a peaceful restful sleep tonight, and better health tomorrow.

Thank you for your warm wishes, we greatly appreciate it. You are a real sweetheart.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Writeleft! Ya me too! I don't want to spread it eithor, or to have to call in again. One outing out wiped me out too! We just need to rest up and take things easy, just a little at a time.

Thanks for the well wishes, you are sweet too! May you both sleep so peacefully tonight and wake up healthy as can be! Talk to ya soon!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

I hated hearing about your friend who ended up with brochitus/pnuemonia! I can see that progression being very likely. I have looked around for some other posts about this darn thing, and i have refered a few folks to your original list of symptoms...which was brilliant.

What a trip. Our friend (who is a pharmacist) asked us to get flu shots...He was actually giving them in his pharmacy! I sat there and told him how I never get the flu, so I wasn't getting one. Boy, do I feel dumb now.

I'm making my hubby a survival kit for work tomorrow. Cough syrup, cough drops, tea bags, vitamin C, applesause, juices, aspirin, anything I can think of.

hang in there, girlfriend!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Awwwh bless your heart! Well I know we aren't the only ones. I have been reading around on the boards and talking to friends by email. This is the flu that is going around. Everyone's symptoms do vary but it seems to be lasting between 7 and 14 days. So it's not a 48 hour bug. So everyone beware if you think it is a simple 2 day thing. It's not!! Rest assured it's not!!! Alot of people are requiring antibiotics. One lady on here had pneumonia and one round of antibiotics didn't cure it and she is relapsing.

Anyhow... load up his lunch box with a little care package of things to get through the day. My husband took a packet or two of therafu with him all through the work week last week.

I don't know if you have heard of Silver Collidial Spray (that you can get from the healthfood store) but you may want to get ahold of that and use it religiously through the cold and flu season. Perhaps if I had been using it may have worked for me. lol But it does kill bacteria and virus's on contact. You spray it in your mouth and nose and even on your skin. I had been using it and it works, but I got comfortable and didn't think I needed it. I works when you are faithful to use it. Just a thought.

Take care!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Well, I broke down and went to my doctor today, as I was afraid the cough had turned into bronchitus, but I was wrong...I have pnumonia! He said I am still contagious, until about 48 hours afte I begin the antibiotics, so a few more days of exile. Now that I know I have pnumonia, I feel more rotten. Ugh.

How are you doing today?

Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh dear writeleft,...I am so sorry you have pneumonia!! That is awful. I am so sorry...Thank God you went to the doctor! My friend has pneumonia with his too. I am hearing of this all over the place. This is a horrible cold/flu virus.

I am not much better then you...I am suffering with some different things tonight. If I can be blunt I will tell you. The last two days at work have been unbearable. I am SO TIRED! I can barely make it through my workshift! I feel like crap! I can't explain it. It is a combo platter of things, possibly my thyroid, low Vitamin D the cold/flu thing, perimenopause....I don't know. Tomorrow I will get my blood taken at the Endo doc and I am getting tested for EVERYTHING! I am scared! But I wanna know what's going on....

So the deal with me....it that I took all my z pak antibiotics except the very last one. I just couldn't do it. They are ripping me up! I have the most horrible diarrhea and I hate to be graphic but it has left me swollem and with a cut in my rectum. The schinctor muscle is spasming back there. I can barely sit down. When I go it bleeds and I just wanna cry. I keep taking sitz baths with epson salts to try and heal my toosh! All this from taking antibiotics to take care of the sore throat that might have become strep or pneumonia...had I not taken them. So even though I may be over that cold/flu I am still MISERABLE!! And my throat was better and now it's scratchy again. My husband asked me if I was having a relapse. Grrrrrh!
I just wanna scream! Its like a vicious cycle. I do have a cough. I think its under control.

I am sorry if I sound like Debbie Downer....but I just need to know I am going to get better and get these health issues sorted out.

How is your husband tonight? Does he need antibiotics? What did they put you on? Bless you heart! It's no wonder you feel bad. This season has been so rough hasn't it?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Oh my gosh, I just feel terrible to hear about all your side effects from the antibiotics. I am so sorry for you! How in the world can all this he** come from what starts off as a cold? I am shocked to hear what you are going through, and heartbroken for you.

I asked the doctor if I was contagious, and he said yes...so I imagine my hubby has it too, but he just can't miss any more work, so he scheduled his appointment on Friday after work. He made it through work and school Monday (which is a very long day-starting at 6am, and going until 10pm). Yesterday he could hardly keep his eyes open till 3:30, and in a few hours he will start another day of work and school. I am so afraid he has pneumonia too.

Right now I'm sitting up at 3:30 in the morning. I had to sleep in the recliner because when I tried to sleep in the bed, my lungs felt like I was going to drown, and the coughing wouldn't stop. I can only take so many hours sleeping sitting up too, so I am up for a little while. This totally sucks...but no one knows that more than you!

My doc put me on Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day, and a new (I think) cough suppressant called benzonatate 200mg 4 times a day. The cough medicine are called perles, and they are little balls filled with liquid of some kind, which seem to be working, as long as I don't lay down.

I hope you get some answers tomorrow with the bloodwork and all, this is the craziest thing, and scary! So far I have lost almost 10 pounds in 10 days, which is ok, except that I am as weak as a dishrag. I am sorry to go on and on, so I'll let you go.

I hope your day brings you some relief, and your doctor can do something to help you get over this crap. I'll keep you in my thoughts today, and check with you later on-Take care my friend!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Back from the Endocrinologist. She was NO help at all. She isn't testing me for my hormones, which is what I wanted tested for. I will have to find a homeopathic doctor to help me through my perimenopause. Ugh!

I am still so very very tired today. The afternoons are the worst for me. I nearly nod off at my job. My throat is scratchy again. I just can't get that cleared up. I am not sure if the virus is just hanging on or what.

So how are you feeling tonight Writeleft? How is your husband doing? Is he hanging in there? Keep me posted.

Closed Thread