It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
(male)

geones HB User
A cold or laryngitis and what does it mean?

Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well. A few questions but I will give some background first..

About 3 weeks ago my son caught what I am thinking is laryngitis. He had a bad cough and had lost his voice for roughly a week (the cough was actually around 2 weeks).

I seemed to have caught it from him and I in turn lost my voice (almost fully) for about a week and also had a cough. This happened about 2 weeks ago, with the voice loss lasting about a week and the cough still with me (usually only bugs me when I first wake up or go to bed, but not bad; more annoying than anything). I should also note that throughout all this my cough has been productive. For the past few days everything has been fine. However, here is what's bugging me:

Today I woke up and I'm losing my voice again. As well, I have nasal blockage although no dripping (sorry for being graphic). My questions are:

1) Is it odd for a reoccurrance to happen or could this be a new cold/laryngitis, etc... .?

2) If it is new should I be worried and is it possible/probable to catch something new right after getting rid of something?

3) Could weather play a role? For the past couple of days it has been quite cool out and I have been wearing shorts and a t-shirt (not smart).

4) Could a change in diet affect things? I started a new eating program yesterday where 3 % of my meal intake is carbs; the rest from fats and protein. I know it is only a day but could it still affect things?

Sometimes I wonder if I am being overly paranoid; I hope so, but a million questions keep playing around in my head.

Thanks very much everyone and I appologize for writing such a lengthy post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: A cold or laryngitis and what does it mean?

Hi, and welcome to the boards...

Laryngitis literally means "inflammation of the larynx, or the "voice box". it is typically preceded by tonsillitis, but not always.

If left untreated, laryngitis morphs into bronchitis, or "inflammation of the bronchi", or air tubes to your lungs. This can quickly lead to pneumonia, which is potentially quite dangerous.

As a rule of thumb, any cough that lasts 10 days should be treated by a doctor. Right now, both you and your son need to be seen, but if any other family members have symptoms, even if minor...they should be treated too.

Our family had a recent experience with a similar situation. My teenage son came home from school with bronchitis, which he recovered from quickly. A few days later, I contracted the same symptoms, followed by my hubby. My hubby missed a week of work, but I ended up hospitalized with pneumonia two weeks later. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, take good care...

Last edited by writeleft; 07-14-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Closed Thread