It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

sfperson HB User
6 weeks of flu symptoms

Hi alló

I had the flu about six weeks ago. It was pretty much a standard flu but lasted longer than normal, two weeks. Then I very slowly seemed to get better but always had malaise and at about week 3.5 started feeling fluish again. I am weak, tired, generally just feel like crap. I don't have a fever. My temp is hovering around 97. I just went to the doctor this week. My blood work was normal. I had a sinus CT today and that seemed normal too. Ugh. What could it be? The thing is it actually seems to be getting worse. My throat hurts. Sometimes I have a dry cough at night. I have been having more ocular migraines than normal. And this weekend it seems to have kicked into high gear. I can barely get through the day without a 2+ hour nap. I am just so damn tired of being sick. And with all the tests coming back normal it is frustrating. Any ideas?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

sunny45 HB User
Re: 6 weeks of flu symptoms

HI,
I sure can sympathize...I seem to be in the same situation as you are...week 4 and still going.
Are you better now ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Could just be a slow recovery. I've heard the flu that's going around or the creeping crud can last for a few weeks.

I once had pneumonia and didn't have a fever or cough to start with. Just a very weak feeling, wasn't hungry, really tired and I had a terrible headache that pain relievers wouldn't touch. The doctor told me I had pharyingitis caused by a virus and didn't give me anything. Someone had me do a chest xray though and two weeks later the clinic called and said I had pneumonia. By then I DID have a cough.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

sf.. did they test you for the flu? I wonder if maybe you might have mono instead? just a thought, don't know what tests they have done.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
(female)

sunny45 HB User

Thanks for the replies. It is great to know people care !
I will be getting some testing done Monday.
It is hard to keep up the moral.but others have worse stuff to contend wiht.
Thanks again...and any holistic advice would be appreciated !

Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

sunny.. I find Chamomile tea does wonders for me when I'm sick. Reduces inflammation, helps to clear the sinuses, and soothes the throat a bit too. GREAT thing to do before you go to bed.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
(male)

Perry2 HB User

I had a one month flu a few years ago. It wasn't a brutal as the flu I have right now but it simply wouldn't shake. Maybe just a weird strain or maybe you (and me at the time)have some nutritional deficiency.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
(female)

sunny45 HB User

HI,
I have been drinking the chamomile tea....it seems to sooth my nerves.

I am fretting a lot over this bug, as I feel so depleted.... I guess I can't quite believe how long it is taking.
All the usual tests were ok. I don't think I was expressly tested for flu.

I have had no fever so this is good....the malaise continues, the general feeilng unwellness, jittery , no energy, coughing( not a lot).I am retired so dont have to worry about work.

I have not been ill in a long time and had lost track of how viscious a virus can be....hate to be thought of as a malingerer , too

But it sure is great to be able to talk about it and not feel like a hypochondriac !

Many thanks,
Sunny

Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
(female)

sunny45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry2 View Post
I had a one month flu a few years ago. It wasn't a brutal as the flu I have right now but it simply wouldn't shake. Maybe just a weird strain or maybe you (and me at the time)have some nutritional deficiency.
HI,
How long have you been sick this time, please ?
Hope you are feeling a bit better, too.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
(male)

Perry2 HB User

This time around the flu is coming up on a week. The first couple of days I could barely get out of bed and was burning up, but now feels more like a hangover with a cough so I guess I am turning the corner.

My long flu was actually more like 5 weeks, at least in terms of how long the fatigue lasted. I was pretty scared. Thought maybe heart issues or something but my Dr didn't do much testing and didn't seem that concerned. I think these long term flus are probably not that uncomon.

Good luck with your testing. There are a lot of other things that can cause a flu like reaction but you might be almost at the end of it too

Last edited by Perry2; 10-31-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #11
(female)

sunny45 HB User

That,s what it has felt like, a hangover that goes on and on.
But today is a bit better.
Thanks for the encouragement.
S

Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #12
(female)

seagoddess HB User

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. I have had a couple of bouts with a long-lasting viral infection in the past. The best thing you can do is rest as much as you can, take probiotics every day, reduce any sugar in your diet and slowly add a little exercise. I once asked a doctor how long a virus can last and he said "as long as it wants to."

Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
(female)

sunny45 HB User

HI,
I really appreciate the encouragement. Not having been this sick in years, I keep wondering what I am doing wrong, or not doing , or could be doing etc etc, so your input really calms me down.
Can you explain probiotics please ?
Thanks,
s

Closed Thread