It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

jljacoby HB User
Coughing until I gag

Hi,
I've had a cough for about a week, some yellow mucus, fever for 3 days of greater than 100, and major sinus pressure. I went to the doctor yesterday and they told me I had sinus infection and bronchitis. Gave me oral antibiotics. The sinus pressure is way better but now I am cough so hard and so long that I start to gag and can't get my air. It's getting worse not better. Now even laying in a reclined position doesn't help. What should I do?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Re: Coughing until I gag

I live in a small town in Montana and what you have is the same as what is going around really bad here too, however; it has actually been tested and the majority of the people have the H1N1 virus, including myself. It was low fever for me for 3 days then right into my sinuses and chest. The Dr.'s are not even testing people for the virus now, because it really doesnt matter they say unless it turns into an infection. I just started last night on 875mg of Augmentin twice daily, and hope for relief soon but having a horrible horrible time coughing and breathing. But, so are everyone else here that came down with this. Good luck to you. Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

if you haven't already... call your doctor! (assuming you haven't improved by today). They may need to give you a breathing treatment or inhaler. This bug is turning into pneumonia for some people. I hope you feel better.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have had coughs like that before and it is scary because it makes you feel like you can't get a full breath in. I have a nasty cold right now and the cough has just set in. My chest is sore when I breathe and that scares me. I have not had a fever at all and I have already been on Zithromax for a sinus infection before the cold came on 3 days ago. I guess I will just wait mine out. I am not sure if mine would be called the H1N1 or not because I have no fever or headache or any body aches at all. Just a headcold with bad cough coming on. Grrrh! I am so mad about this!! I hate getting sick! I am sure you do too.

Suggestions for the coughing...hot tea with honey, cough drops, cough syrup...no talking as much as you can help it. It's hard I know. Hang in there!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Me too! H1N1? Really? Wow, I didn't know that. I started with chills and a cough on a Friday. Went to the doctor on Monday with a low grade fever. Never more that 100.5. She diagnosed me with bronchitis. She gave me ZMax which is a liquid anti-biotic that you take all at once. Drink the whole bottle and you are done. Well the fever broke a few days later and I'm still stuck with the cough. I'm wondering if I should go back to the doctor. It's been almost 2 weeks since I first came down with the cough. I have rattling in my chest too. I still have hte prescription cough syrup so I haven't had any trouble sleeping. Although I'm VERY tired. I also have an 18 Month old, so this worries me hearing it could be H1N1.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
(female)

jholt HB User

I have had the same symptoms. It started out with the flu and turned into bronchitis (with a lot of green mucus). I am done with my z-pac, and the coughing fits still continue. It is scary as I cannot breathe well either. My chest is heavy and my mouth tastes metallic when coughing. The coughing has been severe for 6 days. Does anyone know how long this coughing is supposed to last? The cough suppresant does not help at all? I wonder if I go back to the doctor if there is anything else they can do??

Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
(female)

jljacoby HB User

Hey everyone! thanks for the suggestions. For those of you who are having the same symptoms I would go back to the doctor. Turns out I do have H1N1 and my bronchitis has turned into pneumonia. Hope everyone gets to feeling better!

Closed Thread