It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
(male)

Orc HB User
Cold Or Flu? Questionable or 'Strange' symptoms

Hey folks

I feel like a bit of a hypochondriac, worrying over something as simple as a cold or possibly a flu, I've just been experiencing some symptoms that're out of the ordinary for me when I've had these issues in the past.

This started with a sore throat, that quickly escalated into head congestion and body aches, I never had a fever, but I did have a small case of chills, followed by a really uncomfortable burning sensation both sides of my rib cage. I have a slight scoliosis, which has been blamed for the constant pains and discomfort I usually have on a daily basis in those areas, so they are usually the most achy when I get sick. But the burning...well that really scared me, it started in my sides, when into my elbow joints, as well my back and hips, I could even feel chills in my knuckles! That really worried me.

Also I have alot of discomfort in my abdominals, just below my ribs, they just feel...sickly, or like, well that sensation you get in your head when it's all stuffed up with mucus, or when you feel a sneeze coming on...but you don't, and it's only located in that area. I was actually feeling great yesterday, thinking I was over it, I exercised, took a walk, (I'm in NY, so it was cold of course) and did some box lifting in the basement. I felt O.K. up until right before bedtime...my throat started to hurt again, then my nose got plugged up, and i couldn't get to sleep for several hours. At one point, I woke up with this horrible burning sensation under my right rib, and that really worried me. It felt sickly afterward, I almost felt nauseous over it. I've had problems with this spot all year usually related to having to go to the bathroom or gas...but I don't know what's causing it, or what I can do about it.

I'm currently waiting on health care else I would've seen a doctor about all this already, and I can't really afford to go until then. So...I'm hoping what's going on isn't too serious. It just seems strange I would feel so great one day, and then feel like crap again, and have all these burning and sickly sensations in and below my ribs, especially on the right side, when usually they'd just ache when I'm sick. I hope I'm okay, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh...a bit more info, I'm 28, I don't work right now, and I'm very easily stressed and worry alot over things...as you can probably gather from my rambling over everything.

-Kenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Cold Or Flu? Questionable or 'Strange' symptoms

Sounds like you had typical head cold symptoms (scratchy-sore throat, congestion, aches, chills without fever) and the getting better then getting worse before resolving is also common.

The rib pain may just be muscular and not related to your cold but if you have ANY trouble breathing or pain when breathing in (pleurisy) go to a doctor, at the ER, free clinic or wherever you can get to. It could mean your head cold is turning into a bacterial lung infection.

A head cold should go away in a week, although minor symptoms can last several weeks.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 11-18-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Closed Thread