It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

greatinSC HB User
Laryngitis, Strep Throat, Now Bad Cough

4 days ago, I completely lost my voice. 3 days ago went to an Urgent Care, found out I had strep throat, started taking Penicillin 500mg & Prednisone for voice. (I was surprised about the strep because though my glands were swollen & sore, I did not have a bad sore throat, fever < 100, and was able to eat regular foods). I did not feel "terrible" during the first few days, just couldn't talk.

1 day ago (yesterday), I felt even better & decided to do some house work, came across some dusty items in my house that I cleaned. I went to sleep last night with no problem, but almost immediately woke myself up coughing. I kept waking up for hours coughing, took some Benadryl (in case of dust allergy) & Nyquil Cough & was able to get about 3 hours sleep.

This morning, I again woke myself up coughing so bad that it's given me a terrible headache. The cough is now bringing up yellow mucus (just a hint of green). My chest is heavy & hurting. Head is pounding. I feel worse than I have since this whole sickness began.

I do not have a fever, have my voice back (kind of), throat is not sore anymore, but the cough is terrible. I've taken my antibiotic, Expectorant, Sudafed, and Advil this morning. I'm not sure if I need to go back to a doctor (I don't think so), or if I should go back to work tomorrow (scared of infecting someone). I could possibly work from home, but that means cancelling a few meetings, which I don't want to do.

Does anyone have ideas of whether this is a normal progression of strep throat? I think it's good that I'm coughing something up, and have read to drink fluids & take an Expectorant. I'm not sure if I still have infection in my body because of the color of the mucus, and have no idea if I am contagious. I have had bronchitis numerous times over the years, though I have never smoked.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to get everything in here in case something made a difference. Thanks for any responses/ideas about my (now miserable) situation.

NOT SO "GreatInSC"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread