It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

JaceCat HB User
ive been ill for the past week, hoping someone could share a little insight please.

ive been somewhat really sick for the past week. mild to severe stuffed nose, coughing up some mucous, headache, ears popping in & out all week, no fever or sore throat. haven't been able to smell nor taste anything for the entire duration. ive been on antibiotics for days, just finished my "Z Pack" yesterday, but still have a somewhat stuffy nose, small amount of coughing up mucous, & no smell/taste at all. . .whats going on?! i feel it stupid to ask, but could it be because i smoked for three or four days during the illness? will rest & no smoke have me back to normal?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: ive been ill for the past week, hoping someone could share a little insight pleas

You have a cold. Antibiotics wont help it at all.

Buy an OTC cold and flu remedy that has a decongestant and an analgesic, get planty of rest, take some extra vitamin c, and wait it out.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
(male)

JaceCat HB User
Re: ive been ill for the past week, hoping someone could share a little insight pleas

and the smoking?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If you can avoid smoking, then it would be best, thats for sure.

Advil Cold and Sinus is a great OTC cold med for headache, fever, congestion etc

Some Robitussin DM is good for cough, mucus etc

Although most colds go away within a few days, some seem to drag on and on...... get planty of rest, symptomatic remedies, vitamin c, and go back to the doctor if you arnt much improved in a week or so

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

Meleiseya HB User

Could be a cold or allergies! I have really bad allergies and that is what happens to me. I take Zyrtec which is over the counter now!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
(female)

mentalcompass HB User

This has been traveling like a California wildfire. I don't know if it's allergies or a virus or bacteria or all three or just two......but whatever it is, it likes to stick around for months. Everyone I know, and I mean that, everyone, has had this. My brother had it for a month, he coughed up blood it was bad, but he's back to normal now. I almost made a trip to the ER. And I was worried about it myself. "What do I have and why won't this go alway?" My cousin lives in the Northeast, I'm in Florida, she just posted on FB looking for feedback on the same thing you're describing, she said, "I can't get rid of this, what is it? "

It's really hard to get rid of a sinus infection on a short-term Z-Pack. Let me suggest that if you're offered Levaquin, you say no, ask for Augumentin instead. If you are offered Levaquin, Google "fqvictims" first. I suffered some bad neurological effects on that drug and I took it just 5 days. My ENT wanted me to take it another 10. Thank God I did not.

Once you get the bacterial infection clear, get a Nettie Pot, read the directions, wash twice a day and never right before bed. Keep that Nettie Pot clean, clean it after every use. Try Zimcam nasal swabs for allergies, it's soothing and very nice. Use a humidifier at night. I have a personal steamer too that I use at night, or the morning if I'm not taking a shower that day.

Use Mucinex.

The idea is to thin out all that crap and keep it from gumming up and turning into an infection. If you can keep it all clear, you can manage this until it passes. If it doesn't pass, it's probably an allergy to someting around you and perhaps you should get an allergy test.

I also take Flonase. I don't care what I have to do, but after having this two months, one month very sick and the next wondering if this crap is here to say, I'll do anything to keep that awful infection away.

Let me know if any of that works.

Closed Thread