It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
(female)

xSunnySmilex HB User
The cough from HELL....help!

I began with a dry cough over a week ago. Have sinced developed into a cough that is *trying* to be productive, but only small amounts of mucus coughed up. No fever, mild body aches, mild congestion, but the coughing is getting so severe that I have huge pressure pain in the back of my head when I cough. My ribs hurt from coughing, as does my throat. I've been to the doctor, he prescribed Histenex HC which is a liquid antihistamine, decongestant and hydrocodone for the cough. Nothing is helping! Even the narcotic syrup does not help. I've tried taking mucinex generic to help loosen things up....still coughing. Sometimes, the cough is so severe I cannot catch my breath and I feel as though I will vomit. I'm calling the doctor back today to get some antibiotics (his suggestion if I didn't get better). The thing is, I don't really feel all that sick, just this damn cough is killing me. Seriously. Any suggestions to help the cough? (I am already using a humidifier, sleep sitting up, taking above medications, drinking a lot of liquids)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: The cough from HELL....help!

I had this same cough from hell, turns out in the end, I had pneumonia, took 4 weeks to get rid of it, and then I still have a crackily voice. Take care, and ask the doc about pneumonia, ask for a x-ray of your chest, and the antibiotics, sometimes, they prescribe the wrong ones, if you have pneumonia, it has to be a very strong antibiotic. I wish you well.........

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I find that I respond better to natural things than to drugs. What we use in my family for cough is ginger. I use it two ways. I will grate about a table spoon and put some honey on it and swallow it whole. The honey coats the ginger and makes it palatable and honey also can soothe an irritated throat. The ginger, for some reason, helps with the cough. The other thing I'll do is make ginger tea by slicing up fresh ginger root and boiling it. I often add other spices to it (like cayenne, for congestion), and honey also for sweetening, and drink it. I learned this trick from someone who used it when they had pneumonia, who learned it from someone from Japan where I guess this is a common home remedy.

Anyway, it does work for our family and for the people I know who have tried it. You might consider it.

You may have walking pneumonia, so make sure you keep your doc informed of your condition and follow up with the doctor if you get worse or don't see improvement. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
(male)

YoungLife HB User

yes, the cough from hell. Ive had it many times, and it always does end up a pnemonia. This is what I do all day to help ease it, gargle with listerine, I drink hot ginger honey tea with lemon (this really helps at night) and it has to be ginger, you can get it at asian markets, the taste is awful but it does stop the tickling and calms my cough, eat tsp. of honey, throuout the day suck on some ricola, wont cure it but does help it.

Last edited by YoungLife; 04-20-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Did everyone's cough go away??

I've had this same cough from hell for 10 days now, I had surgery on April 13 and thought that this cough was because my throat was irritated from the anesthesia breathing tube, but after this amount of time, I'm beginning to wonder. I really need to start getting a good night's sleep.

Thanks

Last edited by SanyBelle; 04-24-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shidav HB User

I would be glad to help you some very quick relieving remedy. You have to make a mixture and drink it twice a day you will get the results. Here are the ingredients:
1) two cup of pure drinking water
2) 4 to 5 peppers
3) 2 grams of jaggery
4) 4 to 5 Tulsi leaves
5) 1/2 spoon tea
Heat this and reduce to one cup and drink it hot.

Closed Thread